• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first GPO bounce: After Work, Late at night for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

My first GPO bounce: After Work, Late at night for orchestra

Hi all, here is my first bounce with the GPO orchestra. It doesn't sound yet the way I hoped for but I know it's always a long way to perfection.

After work, Late at night

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: My first GPO bounce: After Work, Late at night for orchestra

Andreas, you have some really good ideas there!

Your recordings will get better as you become more familiar with how to control the GPO sounds.

Please keep going! This is very interesting work.

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbub View Post
    Andreas, you have some really good ideas there!

Your recordings will get better as you become more familiar with how to control the GPO sounds.

Please keep going! This is very interesting work.

Arvid
    Thanks, Arvid! It sounds very flat still because I didn't do any dynamic adjustments, my keyboard doesn't have control wheels so I will have to make the changes by hand in Logic. Will take a while...

New version uploaded:

https://www.box.net/shared/n71k2hv1jx

I made a lot of changes and it sounds much better now, although the clarinets don't sound very realistic. Is this a GPO problem?

Because my powerpc mac isn't able to bounce something like this without problems, Richard Schletty was so nice to do this for me on his laptop; Me in Sweden, he in the USA. Isn't internet great!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    New version uploaded:

https://www.box.net/shared/n71k2hv1jx

I made a lot of changes and it sounds much better now, although the clarinets don't sound very realistic. Is this a GPO problem?

Because my powerpc mac isn't able to bounce something like this without problems, Richard Schletty was so nice to do this for me on his laptop; Me in Sweden, he in the USA. Isn't internet great!
    I am learning a lot by working through the Professional Orchestration books (published by Peter Alexander) with André. Helping André bounce his orchestral compositions makes it more than just a dry academic exercise – his works are from the heart, gifts to his family and friends.

We were hopeful that GPO 4 would be a complete package of virtual instruments but, as André noted, the horns are not sounding good enough. I do have EWQLSO Gold but André doesn't, so it doesn't do us much good for me to use those instruments as André and I send Logic projects back and forth via email (making sure to send as a ZIP archive). We both know that Apple's Orchestral Jam Pack is hit n' miss as far as quality of samples. So, how can we get good horn sounds out of GPO 4?

For piano works, I have been using TruePianos – this module was the choice of Max Tofone Switzerland) in creating Sibelius grand piano samples for Professional Orchestration: A Practical Handbook –From Piano to Strings (written by Joseph Wagner, revised by Peter Alexander). However, TruePianos can sometimes sound too hard and aggressive, especially in the high register. I would like to render some piano passages with a softer touch. Any suggestions?

Go Back to forum