• Register
  • Help

Topic: An animation collaboration with my sister!

An animation collaboration with my sister!

Hello everybody, have been quite busy with school lately, so I haven't had much time to post on the forums. However, my sister is a graduate art student and decided to take a stab at animation. I've never actually synchronized music to video, figured it'd take too much time, but I couldn't resist doing a collaboration with my sister. (Our first) Turns out it was quite easy with Finale '08.

All instruments are GPO for Finale '08, hope you enjoy, I certainly had a blast working on it either way!

Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Southern Ontario, Canada

Re: An animation collaboration with my sister!

Watched it this morning after breakfast. Very nicely done, both the music and the clever animation!! Pretty amazing and utterly entertaining, by my lights!

Congratulations to you both - what a Team!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Very well done, Michael and Alicia... especially
    considering it's the first time out of the gate.

I'm always intrigued by the "multiplier effect"
    in pieces like this, how the impact of the
    combination of the animation and the music
    suddenly becomes much greater than the sum
    of the two, separately.

Some fertile ground and a good team, here...
    much worth exporing further!

All the best,

David Sosnowski

Very suitable music. While the music is a bit repetitive, it does support the images (which stress repetition, so it seems) nicely, and is enjoyable as well. The rendering is also very convincing, and the slightly off-beat nature of the music underlines the animation style as well. Good job.

I agree with the other comments - this is a really great result - my encouragement award for more partnered efforts!

Well done.

Thank you very much guys, I appreciate your comments!

sd disco: I'm glad you enjoyed it, my sister has been interested in art since elementary school, and I've been interested in music for just about as long, so I guess it's been a long time coming!

et lux: Thank you for the compliment! Yeah, she was worried the animation would not be up to par when she finished it (she had seen a fellow graduate student venture outside his medium of comfort, and watched as the university's faculty just tore him apart). Needless to say, she was pretty nervous, but I think she enjoyed how it turned out. I did the entire composition with the animation in mind, so it's tough to hear the piece without picturing the animation, but without it, I feel it would be very repetitive, and the last 30 seconds would seem entirely out of place.

FLWrd: I completely agree that it is repetitive. Though my sister refrained from giving me her detailed intentions behind the animation (as it should be!) I used my own interpretation to define how I wrote the music. I will not go into the details of it, but it does use the notion of repetition, to eventual apathy....followed by the result. If that gives away anything...

But, my interpretation doesn't matter, it's what the viewer/listener thinks!

Alan: Thanks Alan, I hope we do something like this again eventually; though, I'm not sure if she's interested in doing anymore animation, it may depend on how it goes over with the staff at her university, and the 6 X 6 Media Arts event she submitted it to accepts it. We likely will not hear back from them for another couple weeks. We originally were just going to do this for fun, and perhaps for her to show her professors. But then one of the professors she is shadowing (she's interested in teaching) tipped her off on this monthly Media Arts event. Each month has a different theme, and consequently, the theme went perfectly with the animation. We didn't know about it until I was half done with the music. But it shortened the deadline from a month or two, to about 5 days, as the dead line was last Thursday!

Anyways, thanks again, everyone, for your kind remarks!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum