• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Two new libraries coming soon!

Share/Bookmark

Two new libraries coming soon!

DS Soundware is proud to announce two new titles in our percussion collection!

Release date is Mid Summer

Sean and I having been working very hard developing what we feel is a major step forward realism for sampled instruments. I think I can speak for Sean when I say it\'s days like today when all the hard work pays off and you really feel like you\'ve done something special. I can not beging to tell you how excited we are about these two libraries.

The first is a Orchestral Accessories library. This library will run the full scope of standard orchestral acces. instruments such as: tambourines, triangles, castanets, etc.

With all instruments you will have a choice of the following:

Close mic\'ed flat
    Close mic\'ed proccessed
    Distant mic\'ed flat
    Distant mic\'ed proccessed

After much deliberation and getting feedback for our users ALL files will be mono. After all in a real world setting you would mic these instruments with one mic anyway. The proccessed files will have the addition of our excellent outboard gear\'s eq and sometimes compression depending on the instrument.

SAMPLE BLOAT people!! Here\'s the good news!! Beta files have shown even with the following articulations that these instruments are extremely small. For example:

Bronze tambourine 20.1mb (total)

R,L skin head hits 16vel\'s
    R.L wood hoop hits (tamb upside down) 16 vel.
    Thumb Rolls, three durations, 4 vel
    Shake Rolls, 4 vel
    Single hand hits 32 vel\'s
    Cres Rolls 4 durations
    Decres Rolls 4 durations
    Cres/Decres Swells 3 durations
    and the cool one:
    Fist/Knee hits 4vel\'s (this simulates the playing of the tamb with the fist and knee. This is the technique used in pieces like the Nutcracker, and Berlioz\'s Roman Carnival).

So all that is only 20.1 megs...not bad hugh

I have posted two demo\'s of the \"beta\" Bronze and Silver Tambourine\'s. I call this \"Tambourine Duet #1\". I have made two demo\'s one without reverb and one with reverb so you can hear how it sounds with digital reverb.

FYI...the fast loud playing at the end is the fist/knee technique.

With Reverb http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/Tambwithreverb.mp3

Without Reverb http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/Tambwithoutreverb.mp3

As always if anyone has input we are always glad to hear it!

Donnie

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 06-11-2001).]

Re: Two new libraries coming soon!

Sounds very interesting Donnie. Damn I need more money I am getting behind on those libraries. I want your timp library, your marching lib, this one, Dan Dean Solo Woodwinds etc etc.... sigh... But.. you mention two libraries in the topic - didn\'t you only talk about one here?

What\'s the 2nd library?

Oops sorry...I got so into describing the accesories that I forgot to mention the second one...

It is a snare drum library consisting of numerous high end drums of varying sizes with massive amounts of articulations. For example here is an incomplete list of the articulations:

R,L hands 32 vel\'s
    R,L rim hits 32 vel\'s
    Rolls (slow/med base and fast base) 8 vel\'s
    Cres Rolls 4 durations
    Decres Rolls 4 durations
    Rim shots (stick on stick and stick across rim) 8 variations
    Cres/Decres swells 4 durations
    Rim clicks 8 vel\'s
    Closed ruffs 16vel\'s
    Open ruffs 16 vel\'s
    3 stroke ruffs 16 vel\'s
    and anything else we can think of...

Both of these libraries will be one disc and be very competitively priced.

Donnie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by donnie:
    [B]
    After much deliberation and getting feedback for our users ALL files will be mono. After all in a real world setting you would mic these instruments with one mic anyway. \"

With all due respect, that\'s like saying black and white TV represents the real world.

I\'m sorry to hear you\'ve decided not to go with stereo samples. The bottom line should not be how some engineers choose to mike an instrument, but how the instrument sounds to the human ear when heard in person. In the real world, we don\'t hear in mono (nor are orchestras miked in mono).

I use only stereo samples in my work. It has made all the difference in the world to how my music sounds. I\'d much rather have stereo samples, and no choice of \"processed or unprocessed.\" (and reverb is one of the most personal choices you can make) .

We can all process our samples...we can\'t however, turn them into stereo from mono. I hope you\'ll reconsider.

[This message has been edited by tomhartman (edited 06-12-2001).]

I prefer stereo too. Mono samples make mixing easier and more logical, but a mix using stereo samples, mixed properly, will usually sound better, or at least bigger. There are some exceptions to this.

Tom,

I must admit this is a very hard issue to settle on. I don\'t know if you know this or not but our first two libraries are all in stereo. Since then we have gotten a lot of feedback from users saying that they would much rather use mono files for percussion than stereo. Granted this is not everyone\'s opinion but it seems to be the majority.

As far as the processed versions are concerned maybe I wasn\'t clear enough. These particular files will have eq and sometimes compression (depending on the instrument) but NO reverb. The reason for this is that a lot of \"power\" users and users with little time or lack of experience in eq\'ing these instrumens will have quick access to pre processed instruments. Also there is a big difference between the outboard gear we are using and NFX eq or even \"Waves\" eq. This is a huge benifit to the consumer.

Believe me if enough people say that they would rather have stereo then we will reconsider. I think if you look at our track record we give our customers exactly what they ask for. Thanks for your input.

Donnie

Mono Mono Mono

What recording studio tracks a snare in stereo? Give me a break.

mars

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meltingmars:
    Mono Mono Mono

mars
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. Sometimes there\'s a top and bottom head mic, but when have I ever seen a snare tracked in stereo? The 2 mics are mixed to mono. Also, with regard to percussion, like tambourine and triangle, I\'ve never seen anything BUT mono. With percussion in mono, you can more easily build an interesting pan with the instruments. Double a tambourine part and pan the 2 separate parts left and right, double a triangle part and split it hard left and right. I\'ve mixed a lot of tracks from all over the place over the years and the only stereo percussion things I\'ve ever run across are Congas, Bongos, Timbales and other instruments in pairs. Who wants to waste a track on a stereo triangle? Now a stereo vocal...there\'s an idea!

DD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meltingmars:
    Mono Mono Mono

mars
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I and many other engineers I know have tracked snares in stereo for years. If you\'ll check around, you\'ll find that most of the top sampling libraries for drums are in stereo too....

Tell ya what. You record a tune with all mono drums. Then record it with stereo samples, and tell me which one sounds better. This is a real no brainer. All you need is ears.

Go Back to forum