• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hey Guys..Quick Midi Controller Question

Share/Bookmark

Hey Guys..Quick Midi Controller Question

OK excuse me if this is a dumb question...if you want to assign faders on your controller to be certain CC numbers, but you don't want to program it into your keyboard, is there a way to tell Kontakt, "Hey when I move this fader, make it controller xxx? Or it could be in Logic, where I'm using Kontakt. Any quick way to do this?

Thanks
    Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Re: Hey Guys..Quick Midi Controller Question

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
    OK excuse me if this is a dumb question...if you want to assign faders on your controller to be certain CC numbers, but you don't want to program it into your keyboard, is there a way to tell Kontakt, "Hey when I move this fader, make it controller xxx? Or it could be in Logic, where I'm using Kontakt. Any quick way to do this?

Thanks
    Tom
    THat would be like a MIDI learn feature- i know VIs like Pianteq, Lounge Lizard and Omnisphere have this feature. I have K4 but haven't found anything analogous to this. I use a cheapo Korg NanoKontrol which Logic has templates for. It works nicely and sits on top of my Studiologic VMK-188 PLus.

Cubase has a thing called Input Transformer, where you can change an incoming controller number to something that suits you. Maybe Logic has something similar.

D

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post

Thanks
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

In Logic, you can do this with a Transformer object in the Environment window. This could all be a little different depending on your version of Logic, I suppose, but:

Open your environment window, and the use the dropdown in the top left to select the Clicks and Ports page. Then, click New -> Transformer from the top. You want to chain the transformer somewhere between your MIDI input and the sequencer input. There is probably an "Input View" window already in your environment. When you move the slider on your controller, the Input View will show the current CC being sent. Double-click the new Transformer you made to open up its settings. This is what you'll want to end up with:

Mode: Apply operation and let non-matching events pass thru

Conditions:
    Status = Control
    Channel All
    Databyte 1 = (the current CC of your slider)
    Databyte 2 All

Operations:
    Status Thru
    Channel Thru
    Databyte 1 Fix (the CC you WANT the slider to send)
    Databyte 2 Thru

And that should be it. Now, that slider should send the new CC to anything in the session. At least, that's how my memory is telling me it works, though it's been a while since I've done that kind of process. Hope that helps,

-Zem

Principal Researcher, Audio Genetics Lab
    http://audiogeneticslab.com

Go Back to forum