• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First few attempts with GPO4

Share/Bookmark

First few attempts with GPO4 Fixed Links

Hi Everyone,

Here are my first 2 attempts with the GPO4 library.

1) Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov

http://soundcloud.com/eleal-music/sc...imsky-korsakov

2) Hebrides/Fingal's Cave Overture by Mendelssohn

http://soundcloud.com/eleal-music/fi...by-mendelssohn

Enjoy

Re: First few attempts with GPO4

Quote Originally Posted by rsfreak View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Here are my first 2 attempts with the GPO4 library.

1) Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov
    http://soundcloud.com/eleal-music/sc...imsky-korsakov

2) Hebrides/Fingal's Cave Overture by Mendelssohn
    http://soundcloud.com/eleal-music/fi...by-mendelssohn

Enjoy
    I believe there's something wrong with those links, rsfreak... I get an "Oops! We can't find the page you're looking for..." message on both of them.

I know nothing about the soundcloud site, but I would very much love to hear what you have done, especially with Scheherazade.

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    Thank you, Peter, and thank you also, rsfreak... The Scheherazade is indeed very delicate and moving. I'm looking forward to hearing the Mendelssohn later this evening.

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Oh my , I didn't realize the links are not working.

Sorry about that.

Thanks Peter for getting the right links for everyone. I am going to edit the my original post and update it with Peters links

Arvid I love Scheherazade. It is a very moving piece and has an abundance of dynamic changes. I had so much fun working with it and GPO4

I think you need to figure out why the reverb tails are significantly flat (pitch).
    Dan

I was wondering about that too. I heard it in a few spots on both songs. Ill look into it this weekend.

Thanks for listening

I just heard the Mendelssohn, and it seems to me that you did a better job with the Scheherazade. The Mendelssohn strings and woodwinds are okay, but the brass sounds muffled some kind of way.

But then, you have to take into consideration that my hearing is deteriorating, so please take any and all of my criticisms with a healthy grain of salt.

I enjoy your work, though. Please keep it up.

Arvid

[P.S., just a side note. Wouldn't it be easier for you to learn your way around in GPO4 with smaller and shorter pieces? Ten minutes is a comparatively very long time, with gobs and gobs of notes and such to deal with. It would seem better to me to use shorter pieces, and you can cover a number of styles and periods in a shorter amount of time with less labor. Just a suggestion... ARH]
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Hi Erik

Had time for a proper listen now.

You seem to have made a very unusual interpretation of Scheherezade, much more sedate than any version that I have heard before, but it really lets the solo violin dance on top of the music at times without getting too frantic ... I really like that (despite the flat tails that Dan has pointed out) ... now if only Soundcloud would let me download a copy to listen at leisure!

The Mendelssohn seems a much more conventional interpretation in contrast, though I was more put off by the imbalance of instruments ... some seem to jump out at you awkwardly (the brass I think), and sounds rather strange.

It would be interesting to know what has caused the flat tails and strange brass sounds ... I can imagine the latter might be overuse of compression, which is not often used in classical music, I think. Do let us know what you find to cure it!

Peter

Arvid, I dont think your hearing is going away. It is a huge piece to begin with and I am sure there are many things i could have done better. I will however go back and redo both songs when i get a better understanding on how GPO4 works. You are right though as I should have tried a song thats shorter and has less instruments to practice on but i just couldnt help myself I love both those pieces and I wanted to see what I could accomplish with it in my first few attemps.

Peter, You are right about the solo violin in Scheherezade. I did want to bring it out on top of the rest of the music. I will try and figure out that flat tail issue this weekend. I'll let you all know what I find out with that.

I believe that soundcloud does give me the option to have the songs available for download. When i get back later tonight ill change them over so you all can download it if you wish.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it really will help me understand and develop my skills.

Erik

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast