• Register
  • Help

Topic: Impromptu for Three Pianos (Five Quirkle Soup)

Share/Bookmark

Impromptu for Three Pianos (Five Quirkle Soup)

This is an experiment I have had in mind for a LONG time.

It is with more than a modicum of trepidation that I present this work. It is strident, boisterous, relentlessly driving, with pounding bass and tinkling treble. It is a jumble, a synthesis of 5 pieces, set for three pianos, which somehow makes sense, after a suitable amount of alteration.. Three of the original pieces are being played simultaneously. It might frighten your kids, but who knows, they may like it. After the first measure, there are no dynamics indicated. The interplay of the instruments provides suitable dynamic variation.

Five Quirkle Soup (5 1/2 minutes)

The score may be viewed at
    Five Quirkle Soup
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com//index....scoreID=163510

At the Sibelius site, the mp3 does not play, nobody knows why.

Richard

Re: Impromptu for Three Pianos (Five Quirkle Soup)

I'm quite fond of conceptual/experimental pieces like this, provided they don't last too long (some bad memories of a Feldman piece), and I also like energetic music, provided it doesn't consist mainly of a drum repeating itself every two seconds (no points for guessing what music that would be). So yes, I found this piece interesting as well, and entertaining too. It's quite difficult to follow, but looking at the score it makes some sense (although I lost track after the first few bars). I understand you felt some trepidation, but this piece is good enough to present. It's not for a large audience, but I think those with more modern ears can appreciate it, especially if it were to be played live. That would really make the music vibrate and resound the way it should, because it sounds as if this music is more about timbre and physical properties of the instrument than about e.g. harmonic progression.
    Theo

Re: Impromptu for Three Pianos (Five Quirkle Soup)

Well, thank you, Theo. You have a good concept of my thoughts about the piece. It is surely a bit difficult to follow, confusing, but not quite chaotic. I certainly agree that it would appeal to a limited audience. I would be very pleased to hear it played live, but getting three competent pianists with time to learn it, and assembling three similar pianos for the project would be quite a daunting project.

Richard

Go Back to forum