• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity problem when using Aria player in Logic on osx

Share/Bookmark

Velocity problem when using Aria player in Logic on osx

I posted already on the other forum but because this is the official support section, I want to repeat it here.

I noticed that the velocity in the Aria player when used in Logic or garageband on the mac, doesn't work. I tried it out in different ways, comparing the player with other software instruments, as did my friend and musician Richard Schletty with his equipment. All other software instruments react on different attacks on the keyboard, Aria player doesnt. Here is a link to a more deep overview of the problem:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...812#post658812

Is there a way to fix this problem?

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: Velocity problem when using Aria player in Logic on osx

I've got Logic (Express, 9.1.2, OSX 10.6.4), and velocity works as described in the manual. That's the key phrase. Velocity in GPO doesn't influence loudness (at least, not on most instruments). E.g. on brass, woodwinds and strings it changes the attack. Loudness is modified by CC1 (mod wheel; CC11, expr, seems to do the same in the latest versions). In some instruments (staccato and pizzicato strings, harpsichord, piano, percussion) velocity does map directly to loudness and timbre.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    I've got Logic (Express, 9.1.2, OSX 10.6.4), and velocity works as described in the manual. That's the key phrase. Velocity in GPO doesn't influence loudness (at least, not on most instruments). E.g. on brass, woodwinds and strings it changes the attack. Loudness is modified by CC1 (mod wheel; CC11, expr, seems to do the same in the latest versions). In some instruments (staccato and pizzicato strings, harpsichord, piano, percussion) velocity does map directly to loudness and timbre.
    So to make a difference in attack, I will always need to use the modwheel on my keyboard? isn't that the volume option? I start to get lost between all those names. I am not so good in this yet. I don't have a modwheel on my keyboard, that is going to be a problem then.

The thing is that I am so used that when I play harder or softer on a keyboard, I hear that back in the sequencer while recording, that this difference in the Aria player really suprised me. So maybe I should record in another library first and then route it to Aria. I love the GPO string sounds a lot, I would like to use them all the time.

André

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    So to make a difference in attack, I will always need to use the modwheel on my keyboard? isn't that the volume option? I start to get lost between all those names. I am not so good in this yet. I don't have a modwheel on my keyboard, that is going to be a problem then.
    The harder you strike the key, the faster (and more aggressive) the attack will become. Volume/timbre is controlled via the mod wheel (CC1).
    The thing is that I am so used that when I play harder or softer on a keyboard, I hear that back in the sequencer while recording, that this difference in the Aria player really suprised me.
    I understand that, I had to overcome this too. But the mod wheel allows for continuous shaping of the dynamics, whereas velocity sets it just when you hit the key. It takes some time to get used to, but it isn't hard to understand.

Don't you have another controller available on your keyboard?

In case of need, you can also set up a transformer in Logic that will send out the note plus a mod wheel set to the note's velocity in the environment. It's more limiting, but it would allow you to keep playing the way you know.
    Theo

The harder you strike the key, the faster (and more aggressive) the attack will become. Volume/timbre is controlled via the mod wheel (CC1).

I understand that, I had to overcome this too. But the mod wheel allows for continuous shaping of the dynamics, whereas velocity sets it just when you hit the key. It takes some time to get used to, but it isn't hard to understand.

Don't you have another controller available on your keyboard?

In case of need, you can also set up a transformer in Logic that will send out the note plus a mod wheel set to the note's velocity in the environment. It's more limiting, but it would allow you to keep playing the way you know.
    I have a digital Roland piano, HP 237R3, the only slider on it is a volume slider, but this one doens't send any midi data. Is it possible to reprogram the pedals? They do send midi data as far as I know. Maybe the left one could do a volume up,and the middle a volume down?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    I have a digital Roland piano, HP 237R3, the only slider on it is a volume slider, but this one doens't send any midi data. Is it possible to reprogram the pedals? They do send midi data as far as I know. Maybe the left one could do a volume up,and the middle a volume down?
    Only if they send continuous data (i.e. from 0 to 127); normal piano pedals just send on and off (which usually translates to 0 and 127), but nothing in between.
    Theo

Only if they send continuous data (i.e. from 0 to 127); normal piano pedals just send on and off (which usually translates to 0 and 127), but nothing in between.
    I only sends 0 and 127, however, someone at the Logic forum made yesterday a script for me that is now sending midi data from my 2 pedals into Logic. Now I can emulate the volume up and down with them. Very nice!

Thanks for the support.
    André

Go Back to forum