• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Developers- please share your experience! Disparity between EURO and US Dollar

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs down Developers- please share your experience! Disparity between EURO and US Dollar

I'm extremely confused by pricing structures when it comes to USDs and EUROs. Some companies will inflate the price in US Dollars, to account for... the strength of the EURO against it?

However, I become extra confused when I see that it is not at all standard from company to company. For example:

Project SAM Symphobia 2 = 999 Euros - 1299 US Dollars - 30 percent higher! (a large disparity, don't you think?)
    VSL Symphonic Cube = 2690 Euros - 3,360 US Dollars - 25 percent higher!
    Melodyne Studio = 699 Euros - 699 US Dollars - NO DIFFERENCE!
    Sample Modeling The Trumpet = 149 Euros - 216 US Dollars - 45 percent higher! (can this even be right?)

I guess my concern is that I'm getting ripped off. If I'm going to pay a higher amount as compared to the EU price, I would at least ask that it was according to the current difference in value between the EU and the USD. Not just some arbitrary amount, which seems to be the case now.

Am I the only one baffled by this? Perhaps there is some kind of information that I'm missing!

-Alex

Re: Developers- please share your experience! Disparity between EURO and US Dollar

Hi Alex,

We only use dollars, so those that convert against a weak dollar save money.

We are charged a small fee for the conversion, but in the end, we're still getting the same amount.

This way may not be practical for developers in Europe that also have re-sellers using the dollar. U.S. re-sellers can't re-sale based on the exchange rate because it changes everyday - they need a set price.

If we had re-sellers abroad, it would probably be the same for them too.

Take care,
    Steph

Re: Developers- please share your experience! Disparity between EURO and US Dollar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post
    Project SAM Symphobia 2 = 999 Euros - 1299 US Dollars - 30 percent higher! (a large disparity, don't you think?)
    Sample Modeling The Trumpet = 149 Euros - 216 US Dollars - 45 percent higher! (can this even be right?)

I guess my concern is that I'm getting ripped off. If I'm going to pay a higher amount as compared to the EU price, I would at least ask that it was according to the current difference in value between the EU and the USD.

-Alex
    Alex, I'm not sure I understand the concern. In general I find that developers actually 'rip off' us Europeans. For instance, in the examples you quote:-

Symphonic Cube 2690 Euros = $3750 at today's exchange, so if they're charging $3360 then that's about 10% lower for the US.

Symphobia 999 Euros = $1,1393, so the US are getting it $100 cheaper than Europe

Melodyne 699 Euros = $974, so the US are getting it $275 cheaper

In fact The Trumpet is the only one that comes close to being right, although the US are paying $7 more.

I've asked developers, several times, why the rip off (I pay in £ sterling, which tends to be a further rip-off beyond the Euro price) and had a variety of responses, most of which made no sense, and seemed to be hiding a simple 'because we can' attitude. The one company that made sense were Vienna, who said that their payment service didn't handle exchanges, so they'd had to fix the prices, and that had been the exchange when they fixed them. And, to be fair, they have made occasional announcements that the UK price is coming down due to the renewed strength of the pound against the Euro, but it never actually seems to come in line.

From a lot of companies, though, I never get a reasonable excuse. Some of them definitely seem to be simply hoping we don't notice. It would be much better if every firm followed the Lyrical Distortion model, and only charged in one currency. Our credit cards could then handle the exchange, and the only disparity would be the charge they levy.
    David

I guess I didn't take the time to see how the dollar stacked up against the Euro! Thanks for the response Pingu- and I completely agree with you that it would be so much better if companies simply charged in one currency. I was just totally confused by the complete lack of consistency!

Maybe one day, there will be a single world currency, wouldn't that be nice? (and while we're at it, world peace would be great too!)

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post
    I'm extremely confused by pricing structures when it comes to USDs and EUROs. Some companies will inflate the price in US Dollars, to account for... the strength of the EURO against it?

However, I become extra confused when I see that it is not at all standard from company to company. For example:

I guess my concern is that I'm getting ripped off. If I'm going to pay a higher amount as compared to the EU price, I would at least ask that it was according to the current difference in value between the EU and the USD. Not just some arbitrary amount, which seems to be the case now.

Am I the only one baffled by this? Perhaps there is some kind of information that I'm missing!

-Alex

I agree! The Euro ain't what it used to be. Yet these companies still believe that the Euro is strong! Sorry folks wake up and check the markets. We should NOT be paying a penalty for paying in US dollars.

We are getting ripped off!

Rik

I prefer to buy with USD as EUR in crossrate used to be much more expensive. Luckily my country is in Europe but not EU so I can buy with USD. Saved a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by rikp View Post
    We should NOT be paying a penalty for paying in US dollars.

We are getting ripped off!
    Read Pingu's post. If anyone is getting ripped off, it's the Euro customers.

/Yoss

Yeah, like I said before, I never bothered to read the ACTUAL exchange rate. Just saw a higher USD price and thought WTF.

-Alex

I don't live in Europe or the US, so must be constantly aware of exchange rates when buying products outside my country. If, for example, a European company lists two prices...one in Euros and one in US dollars, I convert both prices into the currency of my country, and then which ever price is less, I buy using that currency. So perhaps conversion/exchange rates are more familiar to folks outside the USA who are used to considering them on a regular basis than to people who live and buy in the USA.

Another thing someone in my position must consider is the rate the bank or PayPal might use to convert from one currency to the other. Often a bank will do the conversion then add, for example, an other 2.9% as profit for themselves. So sometimes one can't base a decision strictly on the exchange rate, rather one must consider the exchange + fees. A degree in Economics, while not essential, might help sometimes when one is trying to figure all this out and save a few dollars by picking the best options. ...........frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Hello Alex,

Art Vista prices are in US$ only. So wherever in the world you live, you pay the same price.
    Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://www.artvista.net/

Go Back to forum