• Register
  • Help

Topic: 64 bit sonar? Anyreal improvement?

Share/Bookmark

64 bit sonar? Anyreal improvement?

Will it make recording Kontakt samples, like Galaxy Steinway, or Aria samples, like Garritan Steinway, any easier, faster, or with lower latency?

Thanks for any input/experience on this!

JG

Re: 64 bit sonar? Anyreal improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant View Post
    Will it make recording Kontakt samples, like Galaxy Steinway, or Aria samples, like Garritan Steinway, any easier, faster, or with lower latency?

Thanks for any input/experience on this!

JG
    The issue with 64-bit vs. 32-bit isn't so much performance improvement as it is memory access. 32-bit systems will only recognize up to 4 GB of RAM, while 64-bit can use up to 16 gigs (or more, I'm not sure). Even if 4 gigs seems like enough now, that will change as instrument libraries get bigger, and/or you add more music software to your tool kit. For example, if you wanted to add Altiverb (an excellent convolution reverb program, by the way), I guarantee that your RAM requirements would go up substantially.

IMHO going 64-bit with all of your music software would be a good idea. You may be "buying ahead" at this point, but when you find yourself having to increase the amount of RAM on your computer, you'll be glad you did.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Go Back to forum