• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: HAPPY HALLOWEEN! - I give you "Vampyr"

Share/Bookmark

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! - I give you "Vampyr"

EDIT-11/13: My full 1 hour 10 minute sound track is now available online. Click HERE for information about gaining access.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY HALLOWEEN - Click the photo above and you'll be taken to a clip of the first few minutes of Carl Dreyer's intriguing, brilliant horror film "Vampyr."

Other sound tracks have been composed for this now semi-obscure film, but I couldn't resist the idea to compose one myself once the idea came to me. As soon as I can arrange for it, I'll be making the full piece available online. My music inspired by "Vampyr" has been the largest project for me in 2010.

AND - I hope other people have some Halloweeny music to post
    . In the past we've always had a Halloween composition contest, but that sort of thing isn't currently happening at the Forum. But we can at least entertain each other with fun-spooky-atmospheric-scary music appropriate for the holiday.

Post 'em if you got 'em!

Randy

Re: HAPPY HALLOWEEN! - I give you "Vampyr"

Checking in on the Forum mid-afternoon on Halloween. Dang - I was hoping some Halloween projects would be posted by other users. Didn't anyone do a holiday project? Well, there's still time - but maybe the ghosts will just be a lot quieter here on the Forum this year.

Randy

Sounds like a great idea, Randy! I usually enjoy doing a Halloween piece, but was side-tracked by school and a project with my sister (which I guess could sound a little halloweeny when taken out of context). I've really been wanting to do some sort of waltz with a demented feel to it, but I suppose it is never too late to compose something for Halloween! (Or too early, if you look at it in the forward direction...)
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Thanks for the reply, Michael - Guess it's just a weeeee bit too late for Halloween music this year. First time we haven't had a nice bunch of special Halloween projects to listen to. Maybe next year.

Meanwhile, I hope some of the 99 people hitting this thread so far are enjoying the opening of my "Vampyr" sound track that I posted. If there's interest, I'll post info on the full sound track once I settle on a way to make the full 1 hour 10 minute project available.

Randy

Your presentation with the movie works GREAT! I am impressed as to how far you have come in your film scoring techniques. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I usually have a Halloween piece prepared but have been too busy with life this fall. Maybe next year...

Thanks for the holiday spirit. It was appreciated.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Your presentation with the movie works GREAT! I am impressed as to how far you have come in your film scoring techniques. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I usually have a Halloween piece prepared but have been too busy with life this fall. Maybe next year...

Thanks for the holiday spirit. It was appreciated.
    Hey, Rich - Thank you so much for the post. Halloween came and went rather quietly on the Forum this year - Fun that here a couple days after the holiday, my spooky contribution is being enjoyed. Thanks for letting me know you liked it.

Now I gotta figure out the best way to make the whole project available-- all 1 hour 10 minutes of it. I'd like to make it a full DVD that can be downloaded so the menu could be accessed, it could be burned to disc if people wanted. That'd be more cool than one continuous file that isn't divided into chapters. I'll figure something out and let you know when I have it ready.

Thanks again!
    Randy

Randy;
    You did an amazing job with this project, perfect timing and always the right touch!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Randy;
    You did an amazing job with this project, perfect timing and always the right touch!

Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Sd, thank you so much for letting me know you like the work! High praise indeed, and it's much appreciated.

Right when I thought I was too busy to do anything like this, I was seized with the idea of writing music for this strange old film. I tried to avoid the project for a few days after the idea came to me, but it wouldn't go away. Next thing I knew, I was working away at it. Then over the course of a couple of months, I completed the work. "Vampyr" just grabbed hold of me, and wouldn't let go until I'd finished the music. It's great when a project takes on that kind of momentum.

Something I decided early on was to keep the sound smaller, more intimate than what has come to be the sound of modern sound tracks. I didn't use any brass. Solo woodwinds predominate, with violin and cello augmented by restrained full strings, and there's a touch of tympani here and there. I started the work with just piano, and it remains in the track, along with harp. Then winding its way through the instruments, I layered various synths and sound effects to take the sound beyond what the acoustic instruments could do on their own.

It'll be fun to share the whole film with you when I have it online.

Thanks again!

Randy

The music and the film did not quite mesh for me... though I think that's partly because I kept wanting to hear that "classic" cheesy badly recorded orchestra sound that so often is associated with old horror movies. I think it would be a lot of fun to put the soundtrack through some EQ to replicate that sound (I know it's possible, I've managed to do it when messing around) and score the movie that way!

Also, being and old horror movie...

Needs more sul pont/tremolo!

Really nice stuff you have going on. I prefer a bit more of a minimalist type score for something like this, but what you have is quite effective. I REALLY want to hear what it would sound like if you EQ it to sound like an old soundtrack!

I really like it, Randy, but I agree with a few of Michael's criticisms. I would also like to hear a thinner texture in places with more strident sonorities. But I am glad you didn't go in for some of those old, hokey and cliched techniques that many composers used for most horror movies in that era.

I do write hokey music myself, actually "corny" would probably be a better word, even though I know better... but sometimes it just fits!

Please give us more... more... more!!!
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Go Back to forum