• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help! Sonar doesn't see my Garritan Steinway!

Share/Bookmark

Help! Sonar doesn't see my Garritan Steinway!

Probably the depths of dumbness on my part, but Sonar 8.5 (64 bit) doesn't see (recognize as a plugin) the Garritan Steinway, although it recognizes a lot of other stuff that I'm not interested in... naturally ...

In the old days you'd right click on fx and the Garritan was there as an instrument option. Not now, it seems.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

JG

Re: Help! Sonar doesn't see my Garritan Steinway!

Have you done the Tools/Cakewalk Plug-in Manager/Scan VST Plugins routine yet?
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Indeed, I have! And of course it picks up lots of plugins, but not the Garritan!

JG

Check to see if the Steinway .dll file is installed in the proper place.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks, Larry, I'll check that out.... but it sure looks like the more advanced these sequencers get, the less easy it is to find the relevant subdirectories and copy in the relevant plugins.

JG

OK... Sonar recognizes Garritan as a soft synth. But latency is way up. There must be a more efficient way of doing this, so that you simply start whatever sequencer you want to use and whatever sample you want to use and they more or less understand each other from the get-go, with minimal loss in latency and power.

I suspect this is very old territory.... I'm checking out programs that do this (rewire?)..

JG

Yeah it's a pain with the VSTi plugin format that the plugins' location is not standardized - you have to tell your sequencer where to look, or copy a particular plugin to the folder where it is already looking for plugins.
    As for latency, that will be something you'll adjust in the Sonar settings. I can't remember what Sonar calls it, but it would be a menu item to set the configuration or preferences for your audio playback/devices - if you can find a place that talks about ASIO or WDM kernel streaming, that's the spot where you get to affect the latency in Sonar.

In Sonar, go to Options/Audio Options/Advanced.

Your can adjust the settings there including the latency.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hey thanks, that's very useful information.... But all this makes me long for the days of gigasampler--evil days some say--still where the sample and the sequencer worked independently.... at least that was my happy experience....

So I guess the subtext is that if you can work all this out within the constraints of sonar and whatever sample you happen to be running, that approach will be the most power-effecient sort of by definition.

Ergo: don't introduce extraneous programs to link the two if you can manage without.

JG

I have sonar 8.5 and the Garritan 24 bit installed. I found that putting the Garritan samples on an intel SSD really helped the performance of the Steinway. I am using XP. Fortunately, the Intel SSD comes with a trim tool that works in XP. And since you are only loading the Steinway once onto the SSD, there are no further writes to the SSD and it has remained constant for me. (Steinway loads about twice as fast and it appears that the latency has improved as well.)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast