• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member sd cisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    832

    Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    I cannot fight-off the impulse to post 2 quite divergent pieces of music at the same time, once again.

    Breakfast in the Alps
    features the Garritan Authorized Steinway along with elements of GPO4 and a couple of Irina's, who do the singing. This is my very own composition, so I hope you haven't heard it before!! Breakfast in the Alps

    The other piece I confess I can't remember it from when it was on the Hit Parade, but somewhere since then, I did hear it. It was written and performed to great effect by Marty Balin, who had been in the band, Jefferson Airplane, notably in the late 60's. I found I liked to ad lib to the piece, on the piano, but by taking it at a slower tempo than normal, allowed for more notes that could be played, through the changes. As a result of doing that, I started to get some ideas on how I would produce it, using the JABB voices and a bit from GPO4. I like the JABB guitars and used one here. I used just a tiny little bit of Irina too, doing her best to cover for a pedal steel guitar, but way in the background, more or less. Hearts

    Best regards,
    sd cisco

  2. #2

    Re: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    Breakfast is an interesting piece, SD. Behind that innocent
    veneer, it's got a taste of mad fruit in it. I like that.
    Might I encourage you to let that out of its cage more,
    and more often... it is that hint of a desire to flee the
    contraints of the form it emulates that brings a fascinating
    element of contrast to a piece like this.

    Of Hearts, the same can be said: not by the writing,
    though; but rather by the flavoring of it... beyond which,
    of course, it's quite a fine arrangement of the piece.

    In the end, these two pieces are not divergent at all --
    but sound as though they belong immediately together.

    Maybe that's all telling you something... at the very
    least, just what it is that brings character.

    All the best,



    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  3. #3

    Re: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    That's not just a breakfast of pancake with syrup, or pain au chocolat. It has some seriously spiced bits in it. I think David's right: that spirit is something we should hear more often. But then again, I'm one of those people that like a well placed dissonant. I found the arrangement a bit flat (probably because of the piano); a bit more Strauss (louder strings, more rhythmical) could have made it more lively. But I enjoyed it anyway. Keep it up!
    Theo

  4. #4
    Senior Member sd cisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    832

    Re: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Breakfast is an interesting piece, SD. Behind that innocent
    veneer, it's got a taste of mad fruit in it. I like that.
    Might I encourage you to let that out of its cage more,
    and more often... it is that hint of a desire to flee the
    contraints of the form it emulates that brings a fascinating
    element of contrast to a piece like this.

    Of Hearts, the same can be said: not by the writing,
    though; but rather by the flavoring of it... beyond which,
    of course, it's quite a fine arrangement of the piece.

    In the end, these two pieces are not divergent at all --
    but sound as though they belong immediately together.

    Maybe that's all telling you something... at the very
    least, just what it is that brings character.

    All the best,



    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Hi David;
    Thank you for listening and for your agreeable remarks. It is perhaps that quality of constraint, forever succeeding at holding it's own, against the hot winds of desire, you speak of? I am able to demonstrate the dilemma, but never break free of it's meaning. Destined to a lifetime in the Gulag of Greed, or at least well being, as only a dilettante, a dabbler, a genre-jumping dabbler, a weekender without focus on anything for long. My condition is the result my own choices and behavior. Sometimes I do think it true, that fate is temperament.
    I very much appreciate you listening and commenting, David, and for your powerful insight. I think at the end of the day, I have simply enjoyed both pieces over the last several months and thought I would be remiss if I didn't ultimately share them.

    Best regards,
    sd cisco

  5. #5
    Senior Member sd cisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    832

    Re: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    That's not just a breakfast of pancake with syrup, or pain au chocolat. It has some seriously spiced bits in it. I think David's right: that spirit is something we should hear more often. But then again, I'm one of those people that like a well placed dissonant. I found the arrangement a bit flat (probably because of the piano); a bit more Strauss (louder strings, more rhythmical) could have made it more lively. But I enjoyed it anyway. Keep it up!
    Thanks Theo, I assure you it was not the last piece I ever wrote! I wanted the piano to sound as stiff and rigid as possible, against the soaring Irina's. To sit, on the sunny side of the Alps and enjoy the vista before you. A warm spring sun, but plenty of snow, and here, I am thinking of nice restaurant, perched up in the mountains, but by no means high enough to cause you altitude sickness, which could spoil things, no matter who you might be sitting across from!

    Best regards,
    sd cisco

  6. #6

    Re: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    sd cisco,

    Breakfast in the Alps was a pleasure to listen to. I found the simple, sparkling triple rhythm a perfect support for your harmonizing darlings as they wrapped me in a vision of a country dance atop a knoll in early spring amidst an alpine wonderland.

    That Brochin file sure is a blessing, eh?

    Sean

  7. #7
    Senior Member sd cisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    832

    Re: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Damon View Post
    sd cisco,

    Breakfast in the Alps was a pleasure to listen to. I found the simple, sparkling triple rhythm a perfect support for your harmonizing darlings as they wrapped me in a vision of a country dance atop a knoll in early spring amidst an alpine wonderland.

    That Brochin file sure is a blessing, eh?

    Sean
    Hi Sean;
    Thanks for listening and for your positive remarks! What Breakfast in the Alps set out to be was a chance, in a controlled and predictable setting, to try out the Brochin file, singing a duet. I just wanted to see how it would sound, given both vocalist shared the same sample.
    You are so right about Irina, a truly wonderful blessing, and yet free, too bad the marketing of it was not handled in a way that would provide a percentage for the original artist. From what I have read, she and her husband are devoted musicians and teachers who tour their vocal ensembles around Europe, competing in various festivals and so on.

    Best regards,
    sd cisco

  8. #8

    Re: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    Hi sd cisco,

    I liked both pieces.
    They both have a leisurely kind of atmosphere that is pleasant and relaxing to hear.

    "Breakfast in the Alps" has a quality of innocence and simplicity to it, but you have interwoven
    finely contrasting hints which reveal other qualities.

    The voices parts give the piece that feeling of the clear and bright air of high mountains.

    I find though that the main voice is too prominent and the second voice and other instruments
    should be heard more.
    It’s the interplay of all parts and their dynamics that give a composition
    a strong yet flexible structure.

    "Hearts" was new to me, so I cannot relate it to its original setting.
    I liked the guitar improvisational part and the Irina in the background.
    I’m tempted to use her voice too...

    Thanks for sharing,

    ~Yudit~

  9. #9
    Senior Member sd cisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    832

    Re: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Hi sd cisco,

    I liked both pieces.
    They both have a leisurely kind of atmosphere that is pleasant and relaxing to hear.

    "Breakfast in the Alps" has a quality of innocence and simplicity to it, but you have interwoven
    finely contrasting hints which reveal other qualities.

    The voices parts give the piece that feeling of the clear and bright air of high mountains.

    I find though that the main voice is too prominent and the second voice and other instruments
    should be heard more.
    It’s the interplay of all parts and their dynamics that give a composition
    a strong yet flexible structure.

    "Hearts" was new to me, so I cannot relate it to its original setting.
    I liked the guitar improvisational part and the Irina in the background.
    I’m tempted to use her voice too...

    Thanks for sharing,

    ~Yudit~
    Hi Yudit;
    Thank you very much for listening and for your comments! I will work to remix the lead soloist role and see how it comes out. When I envisioned using the Brochin sample in a duet, I imagined more or less equal roles and levels but in actual practice, I found putting 2 of these voices on as equals led to just too much intensity, too bright. And because both voices are really the same voice, but used twice, when I had one louder than the other, and then brought the "other" voice up to lead or to share time equally, it wasn't really apparent the "lead" had actually changed hands, so to speak. But all in it was fun to do and again, I will attempt to bring down the level on the leading voice somewhat. I encourage you to try this sample some time.
    Hearts is a tune I have now spent hours playing and I'm glad I was able represent the music in a way which brought out a bit of the "Latin" in it.
    Thanks again!

    Best regards,
    sd cisco

  10. #10

    Re: Breakfast in the Alps and Hearts

    Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    I cannot fight-off the impulse to post 2 quite divergent pieces of music at the same time, once again.

    Breakfast in the Alps
    features the Garritan Authorized Steinway along with elements of GPO4 and a couple of Irina's, who do the singing. This is my very own composition, so I hope you haven't heard it before!! Breakfast in the Alps

    The other piece I confess I can't remember it from when it was on the Hit Parade, but somewhere since then, I did hear it. It was written and performed to great effect by Marty Balin, who had been in the band, Jefferson Airplane, notably in the late 60's. I found I liked to ad lib to the piece, on the piano, but by taking it at a slower tempo than normal, allowed for more notes that could be played, through the changes. As a result of doing that, I started to get some ideas on how I would produce it, using the JABB voices and a bit from GPO4. I like the JABB guitars and used one here. I used just a tiny little bit of Irina too, doing her best to cover for a pedal steel guitar, but way in the background, more or less. Hearts

    Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Hello Sd,
    I've just had the pleasure of listening to 'Alps' and 'Hearts'. I found 'Alps' great fun, and concerning 'Hearts',I was particularly interested in your weaving the guitar theme into the score! I listened to 'Hearts' several times and found it most rewarding. Lets hear more of the same ilk.
    Best wishes, Antony

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •