• Register
  • Help

Topic: Update problems on Mac OS X

Share/Bookmark

Update problems on Mac OS X

I'm on Snow Leopard.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to determine whether or not I am running the latest version of GPO 4, which is to say, if I need to update or not.

WHERE can I look on my installed system to determine the version number of GPO4, Aria Player, and Aria Engine that I currently have? It does not report this in a straigtforward fashion like other Mac apps.

"About Garritan ARIA Player" reports "1.091".
    There is nothing in the voluminous Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 folder in Applications that has any information about the installed version number--nothing I can find.

Please don't post unless you are actually using Mac OS X. "I'm on Windows but I assume it works the same way on Mac" won't help anybody (it never does).
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Re: Update problems on Mac OS X

Hi Wheat,
    when you open the ARIA player,
    click on the fourth lowest tab on the right labeled "SETTINGS"
    in the lower left corner of the GUI, and just above the "KEYSWITCHES" box,
    you will see the ARIA Player version and ARIA Engine version.

Dan

Dan:

Under the Settings tab in the main window it says:

ARIA Player 1.02
    ARIA Engine v1.098 (OS X x86)
    (c)2009 Garritan Corp.

However, I have downloaded and installed the Aria Engine (by itself) directly from ariaengine.com today, and that's what is reflected above.

How do I know if I have GPO 4.0 or GPO 4.02?

Also, it's pertinent to point out that placing this information under "Settings" in the Garritan ARIA Player window is not in keeping with Apple user interface guidelines. This information SHOULD be posted in its own window under "About Garritan ARIA Player" under the "Aria Player" menu in the menu bar, like it is with every other application that every other company makes for Mac OS X.

In the "About" menu, it says "Aria Player 1.091" which contradicts what's under the Settings tab.

The same listing, version 1.091, is reported to Apple System Profiler.

This is sloppy.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams View Post
    In the "About" menu, it says "Aria Player 1.091" which contradicts what's under the Settings tab.
    The same listing, version 1.091, is reported to Apple System Profiler
    This is sloppy.
    The Standalone is one thing, the VST/AU components another, the GPO LIBRARY another and the ENGINE yet another, they all have different versions and only the standalone's version should be reflected under the Apple System Profiler. (I have to admit that in this case it should say 1.02)

We are talking a very complex system that is built on many platforms and OS variations, keeping one system's 'guidelines' to the exact letter is not in the advantage of portability and code cleanliness. Having the exact same experience for our products on all platforms, in our opinion is preferable. I could go on about everything else that is sloppy, but i dont have a month or a year.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Go Back to forum