• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Serious style points for GPO 4

Share/Bookmark

Serious style points for GPO 4

My longtime friend and DAW, running XP and serving honorably since 2003, finally went four paws up the other day.

Since I'm doing a lot more video production these days, I had already set up a fairly decent Windows 7 box to run all the Adobe stuff I'm using. So, it was obviously time to bring over the DAW tools and use a single, central box.

Why haven't I done this before? If it works, don't fix it. Besides, we all know what a nightmare it is trying to reauthorize all your software, plugins, etc. I wasn't looking forward to the experience.

I had Waves 5 Gold that I spent around a grand for. Gone. Doesn't support Windows 7, and they're such a nightmare company to deal with I vowed long ago to never give them another dime. I'll be searching for a new company to buy compressors, parametric EQ, etc. from.

Lost AutoTune 4 for the same reason. They've always been such an incredibly cool and helpful company to deal with, I'll gladly spend $70 to upgrade to AutoTune Evo.

And then there's GPO 4. Gone are the days of hassling with the Native Instruments licensing stuff. Instead, the Aria engine uses copy protection (which I truly hope is effective) that is so drop dead simple for the user it's astounding. I dragged my old license image onto the player. And it just works.

As I go through the painful and tedious process of getting the stuff moved over, dealing with the collateral damage of mixes that no longer work because I've lost the plugins, etc., GPO is the one bright spot in the experience.

Nicely done.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Serious style points for GPO 4

Great post, Christopher - You kept me guessing what you were going to end up saying about GPO4/Aria. Excellent to hear how it's provided the easiest part of this difficult transition you're going through. Thanks!

Randy

That is a wonderful description of what it's like to lose everything and face starting over. You struck a deep sympathetic chord within me...

Between 1998 and 2001, I built five of my own custom computers geared especially for DAW work. The last one just gave up the ghost last December (2009). My personal finances have taken a nosedive since those years, and I could no longer afford to replace or rebuild anything, but two wonderful friends came to my rescue... one donated a powerful 2006-model Dell Dimension box he had barely touched (into which I put XP Pro), and a certain person with the initials GG got me going with the new GPO4/ARIA setup I needed to keep me in operation.

I also lost my Antares Auto-Tune, but I think I have it on CD somewhere in this mess... will have to look through some of the hundreds of CDs I have lying around in no particular order. The financial loss from this kind of situation is tremendous if you don't have enough backup copies of everything on external media, like DVDs, but who wants to spend all that time backing things up that run around 300 GB or more???

Perhaps the loss has a silver lining in that we can start over with fresh eyes and ears and a new set of priorities that tell us we may not have needed a great deal of that stuff in the first place. And many of the capabilities of the older software packages is now wrapped into larger, more comprehensive DAW software. But I still love using Cool Edit Pro 2.1 for certain things!!!

Thank you for that post, Christopher. You have captured the essence of disaster and recovery in such a few carefully chosen words...

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Christopher

I upgraded to a Windows 7 PC and also faced issues of having to pay for a number of upgrades for a number of pieces of software.

One way around the problem, if you'd still be happy with using your old software on a Windows XP based operating system is to use one of the free "virtual machine" applications which will let you create a virtual Windows XP PC to run within your real Windows 7 PC.

It runs at least as fast as my old PC even with other software running on the real machine.

Worth considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    Christopher

I upgraded to a Windows 7 PC and also faced issues of having to pay for a number of upgrades for a number of pieces of software.

One way around the problem, if you'd still be happy with using your old software on a Windows XP based operating system is to use one of the free "virtual machine" applications which will let you create a virtual Windows XP PC to run within your real Windows 7 PC.

It runs at least as fast as my old PC even with other software running on the real machine.

Worth considering?
    Peter --

Glad to see you here, and I have just one question about that virtual PC setup under Win7 because I will be facing that situation soon... my little (and old) laptop is now straining too hard at the gills and I will have to replace it within the next couple of months.

Under Vista, I tried several different virtual PC programs, but none of them would allow me to access my audio cards. The only one that had any kind of audio capability contained an ancient SoundBlaster-compatible emulator which sounded awful.

Does the virtual XP under Win7 allow direct access to the audio hardware? I am most likely going to have Win7 on the next laptop, so I would love to know how that compares.

Thank you and best wishes,

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Hello Arvid!

I'm using the VM Player from VMWare.com, and it sees both my internal soundcard and external USB card, as well as other "removable devices" that I can switch between the host and guest (virtual) operating system.

We use the same player at work to run a Unix O/S under Windows XP, and haven't had any problems with it. Of course, I couldn't guarantee that it will be problem free on any particular piece of hardware, but if you've got the PC and a licence for XP and any other XP based software you want to keep using as well as new Windows 7 software, as in Christopher's case, it's free to try out, other than for the time and effort you may lose if it proves unsuitable.

Cheers!

Peter

PS ... I thought you were against upgrading to Windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by bionicbub View Post
    That is a wonderful description of what it's like to lose everything and face starting over. You struck a deep sympathetic chord within me...
    Well, it's like you said, there's always the bright side. After it's all said and done, I do have faster ponies. And you can never have ponies that are too fast.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

PS ... I thought you were against upgrading to Windows 7?
    I'm against paying income taxes, too, but Win7 appears to be inevitable now, so there's no avoiding it. It had to happen some day... that was one reason I used to build my own computers. No more... just have to take what I can get, and Linux is out of the question.

But there is a "Virtual XP" machine inside Win7 that I was curious about... Does anyone have any info on that as far as audio production is concerned???

Thank you very much for the info, and thank you, Christopher, for the enlightening rundown on your experiences. I believe it will help a number of people facing similar situations.

Best wishes to all,

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Randy,

I've been gone for a while now. Do you work for Gary? If so, take a couple of extra cookies out of petty cash - you guys are doing really nice work.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Christopher

Worth considering?

Peter,

I have half a dozen boxes on the network, so yeah, I gave some thought to just going with an XP solution. In the end, though, I decided it was best to drag myself kicking and screaming into the modern age. It's a hassle now, but it'll be nice when it's all settled down.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum