• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Slide show: opening night of "Dorian" in Moscow

Share/Bookmark

Slide show: opening night of "Dorian" in Moscow

I hesitated to start yet another "Dorian" thread, but decided Trent's advice on my previous thread is good. He suggested I start this new thread to make sure interested parties are aware of what I put together.

Here's a slide show that captures the premiere, Oct. 22nd, which my wife Kate and I attended in Moscow. Stas Namin, the producer, had several top notch photographers covering pre-show, the show itself, and curtain calls- You can feel some of the excitement of the evening by watching this:

Slide show - "DORIAN" in Moscow

NOTES on viewing the slide show:

--The default action, "Original View" is a nice cross dissolving display of the 45 photos. Click "full screen" to get a larger display.

--On the right, choose "Gallery View" for a faster slide show, with thumbnails below. There are stop/start controls which aren't on the Original View. This Gallery View can also be expanded to full screen. Thumbnails are at the bottom of this view, so you can navigate to whatever point you want.

--You can double click any image as it comes up, in either view, and it will open on a new page where you can view it at full size, share it etc.

HAVE FUN going to Moscow with us!

Randy

Re: Slide show: opening night of "Dorian" in Moscow

Hey Randy,

Welcome back! Great slide show and great idea to put it at the beginning of a new thread; I had missed it despite visiting the "epic thread" several times each week.

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hey Randy,

Welcome back! Great slide show and great idea to put it at the beginning of a new thread; I had missed it despite visiting the "epic thread" several times each week.

Once again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Regards,

Frank
    Ah, good, Frank - Thanks for letting me know that it was a good idea to have the slide show on its own thread. Those images do capture some of the magic that happened on that once-in-a-lifetime evening.

Randy

I looked at the pictures yesterday on the other thread. Weren't they're a lot of young people there ? and mostly girls ? Are they your groupies ?

I hope the show does well for you. How long is it expected to run and will it transfer ?

I may have missed this info as I've not been on the forum much lately, but now I'm in bed with the flu and wearing out the laptop searching the net for bits and bobs and chatting here and there.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Looks like the Russian Premiere was a great hit Randy. Great pictures
    and such a professional appearing production. Hope your "baby" goes
    somewhere in America.......

Congrats,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    I looked at the pictures yesterday on the other thread. Weren't they're a lot of young people there ? and mostly girls ? Are they your groupies ?

I hope the show does well for you. How long is it expected to run and will it transfer ?

I may have missed this info as I've not been on the forum much lately, but now I'm in bed with the flu and wearing out the laptop searching the net for bits and bobs and chatting here and there.
    Hi, Derek - I'm glad I'm helping to keep you entertained while you're bed-ridden. Get over that flu pronto, ok?!

Stas, the producer, has done a great job of designing the production and promoting it to appeal to young people. It was remarkable how young the average audience member was - that's very unusual in a theatre setting. Here in The States the average age for theatre goers is unfortunately climbing higher and higher, young people generally not being interested in live theatre anymore-- too old fashioned, not enough special effects.

So Yeah! - Those are my groupies you see towards the end of the slide-show. After I'd gone on stage for a bow and to say a few words after the show, when I stepped back into the lobby, I was surprised to see this contingent of mostly teenage girls zoom over to me to get my autograph. I was scribbling on programs and ticket stubs as fast as I could - But an usher finally came over and said we had to move the autograph party outside, we were keeping the theatre's doors open too long!

The show has already done very well for me. This Russian pro premiere is a bright feather in my cap I'm very happy to wear. And now we set our sights on another US production, hopefully within the next couple of years - it always takes massive amounts of time to get a production up. We'll see!

"Dorian" is now part of the list of shows The Stas Namin Centre does in rotation. They're a rep company, and my show will now be part of their repertoire "forever" - the word from my producer, Stas Namin. The group's been in existence for 10 years now, and the shows they opened with are still performed every month along with the shows they've added since then. Nice!

Not sure what you meant when you asked if it will "transfer"--?

Get well, Derek!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Looks like the Russian Premiere was a great hit Randy. Great pictures
    and such a professional appearing production. Hope your "baby" goes
    somewhere in America.......

Congrats,

Jack
    Thanks, Jack - And I appreciate the wishes for an up-coming American production. We're working on it!

Randy

Which version of "Dorian" does this post refer to? I was hired as MD/Pno-cond for a production back 8-10 years ago for an "unproduced show" festival held at a local univeristy. As such, all of the shows are in first or second draft condition, but it's usually fun trying to bring them to their initial "life."

The version I was exposed to was written by a lady down in the Carolinas..

Interesting footnote, by the time they had spent the budget on set and costumes, they had run out before the "portrait" could be produced in it's various aging modes. So they only had ONE portrait (young), and the rest were shadow "illusion.."

Gotta love theatre..

Quote Originally Posted by musikman1 View Post
    Which version of "Dorian" does this post refer to?...
    oh my - You're certainly going through the Forum archives to find this post, Musikman.

My longest, most sustained contribution to this Forum was in 2007 when I posted, number by number, the pieces from my musical, "Dorian - The Remarkable Mister Gray."

Since that time, following the amateur premiere here in Salem, Oregon, the theatre gods smiled upon me and manifested the professional premiere in Moscow, Russia.

The slide show this thread is about is from when my wife, Kate, and I were in Moscow for the gala premiere of the production at Moscow's International House of Music.

And now the show is running in repertory with other shows produced by Stas Namin at his theatre in Gorky Park, Moscow.

Show biz is uncertain terrain, now more than ever, but American productions of my show are still in development.

I was surprised to see that what this thread is about isn't clear, but thanks for asking, so I could tell the story in brief yet again!

Randy ---(who is suffering from horrible computer problems--unable to be online very often--hopefully soon to be remedied!)

Gosh Randy, why wouldn't you put this up. No need to respond, a rhetorical question.

Great to see these photos. The venue is great and it is wonderful to see the young audience as well.

Best of luck with the next stage of your journey.

Go Back to forum