• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jeff talking on Low-Latency Convolution at AES tomorrow Nov 12

Share/Bookmark

Jeff talking on Low-Latency Convolution at AES tomorrow Nov 12

Jeff Hurchalla, our new President of Garritan, will be making a technical presentation at AES in San Francisco tomorrow, November 12 at 2:30 pm.

The title of his talk is "A Time Distributed FFT for Efficient Low Latency Convolution"

Here is a link to the presentation http://www.aes.org/events/129/papers/?ID=2391 and the talk is about:
    "To enable efficient low latency convolution, a Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) is presented that balances processor and memory load across incoming blocks of input. The proposed FFT transforms a large block of input data in steps spread across the arrival of smaller blocks of input and can be used to transform large partitions of an impulse response and input data for efficiency, while facilitating convolution at very low latency. Its primary advantage over a standard FFT as used for a non-uniform partition convolution method is that it can be performed in the same processing thread as the rest of the convolution, thereby avoiding problems associated with the combination of multithreading and near real-time calculations on general purpose computing architectures."
    Jeff's convolution algorigthm promises to benefit the industry.

If you happen to be at the AES show in San Francisco, please be sure to see Jeff's presentation.

- Gary Garritan

Re: Jeff talking on Low-Latency Convolution at AES tomorrow Nov 12

"Low latency convolution"--If I didn't know something about recording, I might think Jeff was to speak on some dreaded new social ill, perhaps involving maladjusted teens!

I know Mr. H has been part of your team for quite awhile, Gary. "Software developer" is his credit on GPO. I am sure you're pleased he's able to now be the corporation's President.

Power to you, Jeff,---and to the people, right on!

Randy

Go Jeff! He worked hard on this paper, and we are proud.

Since the abstract only speaks to 0.5% of the nerdy people in the world, my understanding is that it can be applied to create efficient high quality reverbs, and other audio processes that use convolution. Also, it can benefit effects like surround sound convolution reverb, where the computer has to perform computations for multiple channels of audio.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

My big problem with convolution reverb IS the processing time and CPU cycles used to run it. [aside: "hey, do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?"] If low-latency convolution reverb is on the horizon I will be really happy! Go Jeff!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Go Jeff!
    That's Mr. President Jeff, mind you.

Many congratulations, Jeff!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Garritan now has a low-latency president? Cool!

I know nothing about the mathematics behind reverb...

but is that supposed to say 'tomorrow Nov 6'? I think that's what the site linked to says.

I guess that's in a few hours!
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    I know nothing about the mathematics behind reverb...

but is that supposed to say 'tomorrow Nov 6'? I think that's what the site linked to says.

I guess that's in a few hours!
    Jeff is living in the future, one week ahead of us. But yes, it is indeed happening today.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Perry View Post
    Jeff is living in the future, one week ahead of us.
    It must be that low latency thing.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    It must be that low latency thing.
    OK, that was funny!! Bwahaha!

Jim

Go Back to forum