• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The Lost Child" for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

"The Lost Child" for orchestra

Hi! Here is a bounce I made for an orchestral piece of mine, titled The Lost Child. Would love to hear comments on it!

http://www.box.net/shared/4kbuft787e

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: "The Lost Child" for orchestra

Hi Andre'
    It is imaginative writing and your instrumentation is appropriate. I liked the spirited waltz the piece begins and ends with, but I would revisit the mix for the mid section. Reining the horns in would go along way to smoothing that out. But, insofar as your execution is concerned, it is very good.

Thank you,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Hi Andre'
    It is imaginative writing and your instrumentation is appropriate. I liked the spirited waltz the piece begins and ends with, but I would revisit the mix for the mid section. Reining the horns in would go along way to smoothing that out. But, insofar as your execution is concerned, it is very good.

Thank you,
    sd cisco
    Thanks! I still want to work some more on the piece, especially now I start to know more of GPO. There is a lot to learn to get the most out of this software. I will post a newer version soon.

André

Hallo André,

what a lovely piece!
    Great use of the orchestra, beautiful melodies. Really a joy listening to it!
    I think the rendering is OK, but it could be better. The Sam-Brass sounds a bit heavy and quite out of place, but I think with a little practice you can handle it.

By the way! I'm Jan from the Soundtrack-Board. (The world is so small!). Did you buy Peter Siedlaczeks Advanced Orchestra?

All the Best
    JAN

Quote Originally Posted by Jannus View Post
    Hallo André,

what a lovely piece!
    Great use of the orchestra, beautiful melodies. Really a joy listening to it!
    I think the rendering is OK, but it could be better. The Sam-Brass sounds a bit heavy and quite out of place, but I think with a little practice you can handle it.

By the way! I'm Jan from the Soundtrack-Board. (The world is so small!). Did you buy Peter Siedlaczeks Advanced Orchestra?

All the Best
    JAN
    Hi Jan! Yes, indeed a small world. Nice to see you here as well. No, I didn't buy Peter Siedlaczeks Advanced Orchestra, I am working with GPO alone at the moment. there is a lot of things to discover in this software. My biggest challenge at the moment is to find a nice reverb, not easy on a G5 to try them out because the mac freezes all the time!

André

Bravo Andre.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    My biggest challenge at the moment is to find a nice reverb, not easy on a G5 to try them out because the mac freezes all the time!
    Yea, reverb is a difficult issue, especially if you have a specific sound in mind.
    My personal opinion is, if you're working with samples you have to use a lot of different kinds of reverb. Even on one instrument. For example: If you have fast woodwind-runs you should use a lot of reverb, to strengthen the effect. The same is for short notes. If there is a Flute-Solo a few bars later, you should use a dry ambience for it.
    But that’s just my personal taste!

Quote Originally Posted by Jannus View Post
    Yea, reverb is a difficult issue, especially if you have a specific sound in mind.
    My personal opinion is, if you're working with samples you have to use a lot of different kinds of reverb. Even on one instrument. For example: If you have fast woodwind-runs you should use a lot of reverb, to strengthen the effect. The same is for short notes. If there is a Flute-Solo a few bars later, you should use a dry ambience for it.
    But that’s just my personal taste!
    But how do you use different amount or kind of reverb within one track? Or do you mean use more tracks with each of them the same instrument but different reverb? Can reverb be automated?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    Or do you mean use more tracks with each of them the same instrument but different reverb?
    Yes, I think that’s what I mean. For example: You have three Flute tracks. One for runs, one for general playing within the orchestra and one for the solo part.
    That’s very time consuming, but it's worth the effort if you want to make a promo-CD for people who are not used to digital orchestras.

All the best:
    JAN

Go Back to forum