• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Greetings from Caracas/Venezuela.

    I am finishing to scoring my flute concert and I would be glad of hear it on GPO4. The problem: After to switch between the Sibelius sounds and and GPO4 all the effects that I wrote on my score are not sounding (pizz, mute brass, tremollo, etc)....I am using the set of instruments called "notation" and mostly all the instruments KS...

    What´s missing in here?

    I am using Intel Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 GHz with 3 Ram of memory Operative Windows Vista Ultimate System of 32 bits.

    Sibelius 6.2

    Thanks in advance

    Andres Eloy Rodriguez

  2. #2

    Re: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Quote Originally Posted by androdriguez View Post
    Greetings from Caracas/Venezuela.

    I am finishing to scoring my flute concert and I would be glad of hear it on GPO4. The problem: After to switch between the Sibelius sounds and and GPO4 all the effects that I wrote on my score are not sounding (pizz, mute brass, tremollo, etc)....I am using the set of instruments called "notation" and mostly all the instruments KS...

    What´s missing in here?

    I am using Intel Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 GHz with 3 Ram of memory Operative Windows Vista Ultimate System of 32 bits.

    Sibelius 6.2

    Thanks in advance

    Andres Eloy Rodriguez
    I'm not sure but I don't think all those effect work in Sibelius for GPO, right? Is GPO able to understand commands like pizz etc? Do they affect the key switches?
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

  3. #3

    Re: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    I'm not sure but I don't think all those effect work in Sibelius for GPO, right? Is GPO able to understand commands like pizz etc? Do they affect the key switches?
    Early versions of GPO does it...(undertand the commands pizz, etc.)...It´s very strange that this version doesnt recognize none...

  4. #4

    Re: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Andres

    You shouldn't need to select the notation instruments directly yourself. If you have the Sibelius soundset for GPO4 set up correctly, Sibelius will select the notation instruments and send the right keyswitch commands (based on the technique text you type into the score) for you in the background.

    If you don't have the soundset installed, Sibelius will not know how to translate your technique text into keyswitches, etc., which sounds like the problem you are having.

    I don't think the soundset you need comes with either the GPO4 or the Sibelius discs/downloads ... I think you have to download that separately from the Sibelius website. you will then need to set up a playback device which links the GPO soundset to the Aria player.

    I think there are more detailed threads on this forum about the subject, as well as some relevant FAQs on both the Sibelius and Aria (Plogue) websites if not the Garritan one, otherwise someone else may be able to supply more details (personally I haven't moved to GPO4 yet).

    Peter

  5. #5
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Make sure you have the latest version of Sibelius (6.2), although GPO4 works with plain old 6. Any keyswitches are made using the Dictionary. Check in the Playback Devices that you have a playback configuration with GPO4, and that the correct soundset is selected; it should work. If it does not, post this on the Sibelius forum, and someone more knowledgeable will answer your question.

    Best of luck.
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  6. #6

    Re: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Make sure you have the latest version of Sibelius (6.2), although GPO4 works with plain old 6. Any keyswitches are made using the Dictionary. Check in the Playback Devices that you have a playback configuration with GPO4, and that the correct soundset is selected; it should work. If it does not, post this on the Sibelius forum, and someone more knowledgeable will answer your question.
    Good advice, although the answers did leave out one detail: Make sure that the keyswitches are triggered slightly before the first note to be played with the ks patch. If you have the trigger and the note occuring at the same time on playback, the ks won't work.

    If you try everything else and the keyswitches are still giving you trouble, you can simply insert a note for the appropriate ks trigger in the instrument's staff. Here's an example from a symphony I'm composing:



    In the above, the ks trigger note is changing the KS Violin II staff to the short bow (alternating up/downbow) patch. Should you go with this method, bear in mind that GPO remembers the last ks trigger used. If, for example, I wanted to change the KS violin patch to pizzicato later on, I would have to make sure and put in the correct ks trigger note right before the pizz. passage.

    I recently upgraded to GPO4 and Finale 2010, but I haven't had a chance to road-test them together yet, so I don't yet know how well they integrate on the expression side. However, based on my experience with GPO2, I can tell you that the notation method for keyswitching is pretty much sure-fire.

    Hope this helps!

    Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

  7. #7

    Re: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    Good advice, although the answers did leave out one detail: Make sure that the keyswitches are triggered slightly before the first note to be played with the ks patch. If you have the trigger and the note occuring at the same time on playback, the ks won't work.

    If you try everything else and the keyswitches are still giving you trouble, you can simply insert a note for the appropriate ks trigger in the instrument's staff. Here's an example from a symphony I'm composing:



    In the above, the ks trigger note is changing the KS Violin II staff to the short bow (alternating up/downbow) patch. Should you go with this method, bear in mind that GPO remembers the last ks trigger used. If, for example, I wanted to change the KS violin patch to pizzicato later on, I would have to make sure and put in the correct ks trigger note right before the pizz. passage.

    I recently upgraded to GPO4 and Finale 2010, but I haven't had a chance to road-test them together yet, so I don't yet know how well they integrate on the expression side. However, based on my experience with GPO2, I can tell you that the notation method for keyswitching is pretty much sure-fire.

    Hope this helps!

    Steve
    Thanks for your advance Steve...I already had found this option, but I think that there should be a direct way for do so...When I used to use GPO with KP2 its worked fine....so what I am doing wrong?? I tried to found on my device setup the Sibelius configuration and only appear Midi 1 and Midi 2 among other options, mainly keyboards setups....how to include sib config on this set up??

  8. #8

    Re: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Quote Originally Posted by androdriguez View Post
    Thanks for your advance Steve...I already had found this option, but I think that there should be a direct way for do so...When I used to use GPO with KP2 its worked fine....so what I am doing wrong?? I tried to found on my device setup the Sibelius configuration and only appear Midi 1 and Midi 2 among other options, mainly keyboards setups....how to include sib config on this set up??
    Sorry, but I only use Finale, so I don't know how Sibelius handles things. Best to follow Ron's suggestion and post your inquiry on the Notation/Sequencing forum. Here's the link:

    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ion-Sequencing

    I'm sure that a knowledgeable Sibelius person there will be able to help you.

    Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

  9. #9

    Re: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Andres

    Here's a link to the Sib 6.2 soundset downloads available on the Sibelius site: http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/resources/soundsets.html

    Threre are also instructions for installing them, and there are more details in the Sibelius manual and getting started guiide too, I'm sure, as well as the GPO manual, possibly. (It does on my copy of Sib 5/GPO3, I recall).

    Make sure you have the Sib 6.2 upgrade installed first as indiated there and by Ron (rpearl) below.

    Peter

  10. #10

    Re: How to activate Keyswitches on Sib6 with Aria GPO4 (I´m desperate¡¡)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    Andres

    Here's a link to the Sib 6.2 soundset downloads available on the Sibelius site: http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/resources/soundsets.html

    Threre are also instructions for installing them, and there are more details in the Sibelius manual and getting started guiide too, I'm sure, as well as the GPO manual, possibly. (It does on my copy of Sib 5/GPO3, I recall).

    Make sure you have the Sib 6.2 upgrade installed first as indiated there and by Ron (rpearl) below.

    Peter
    The first that I sould have done¡¡....that´s the problem...and the solve....
    I didnt check out if my version of sib 6 was upgraded....already I do so...and all seems to work fine...thanks to all for your help¡¡

    Andres Eloy

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •