• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: All-Garritan: "Fanfare for Everybody" (2010-Arvid Hand)

Share/Bookmark

All-Garritan: "Fanfare for Everybody" (2010-Arvid Hand)

Well, I have been promising a new work for a couple of weeks now, and here it is, warts and all. I have utilized a short theme by John Bowen from his little "Melancholia" piece.

It still has a few quirks in it, like the trumpets making a strange noise when playing a sforzando after a short note pickup (but I believe that is a Finale expression problem, not something in the libraries), and the lead trumpet is entirely too quiet in one spot that I cannot discover the reason for. The timpani appear to be lost among the drumlines, but I think that may be a good idea, and the snareline sticks out too much at the very end... or does it?

Anyway, here it is... "Fanfare for Everybody: There's No Such Thing as Common" for Brass Choir, Drumline, Timpani, Concert Bass Drum and Whistle.

http://www.box.net/shared/finzngz1o0

If the link doesn't work, please let me know immediately.

This piece is my first recorded work using all-Garritan Library instruments, which include some of the SAM horns and VDL drumlines.

Arvid

[For those without a classical education in music, Aaron Copland wrote a famous fanfare called "Fanfare for the Common Man" and my title is a play on his title.]
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Re: All-Garritan: "Fanfare for Everybody" (2010-Arvid Hand)

Arvid,

Sounds good!
    The beginning has a marching band type feel w/ the percussion.
    That was a nice surprise.

Although I enjoyed the strong fanfare melody of the brass, their realism, I believe, needs work. I don't use GPO exclusively, only GOS, but I know many members here could help with re-verb, panning, and hopefully articulations for the Garritan brass.

Enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

An able fanfare, Arvid; very nice work on this!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    An able fanfare, Arvid; very nice work on this!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you so much, David.

I posted the .MP3 within an hour after I finished writing it, so I didn't take the time to do any real tweaking or twiddling with it yet. Perhaps I might do that later after I get through proofing the reconstruction of my "Buddha" score that Peter Gale has so kindly reconstructed for me from three draft copies that didn't get lost or destroyed. I am going to create a new all-Garritan recording of "Buddha Meets the Moos-sician" as soon as we finish tweaking that score.

Thank you again for your kind comments.

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Arvid,

Sounds good!
    The beginning has a marching band type feel w/ the percussion.
    That was a nice surprise.

Although I enjoyed the strong fanfare melody of the brass, their realism, I believe, needs work. I don't use GPO exclusively, only GOS, but I know many members here could help with re-verb, panning, and hopefully articulations for the Garritan brass.

Enjoyed!

M
    Thank you, Michael, for your very kind comments. I'm glad you were "surprised"!! I was definitely affected by that old saying, "Everybody loves a parade." I have certainly marched in my fair share of parades, usually carrying my trumpet.

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Hi Arvid!

This is a great blending of the very formal brass fanfare tradition with the somewhat tongue in cheek theatrical antics of the more modern drumline ... but a similar contrast could be just as well be used to describe yourself too!

It's particularly great to listen too knowing that this is your first piece of new music in quite a few years ... you are a skilled and "able" (if not uniquely talented) composer and I'm more excited to hear what more new music you can give us than hearing a perfect rendition of this "demo" recording.

In that respect, you already know the faults in the recording, and you're more than able to address those faults ... but that would be a waste of your time and more valuable creative skill.

I would challenge you not to leave the piece alone though!

The only thing that could improve on your piece would be to see a YouTube clip of a real band & drumline using it to open a real American football game, perhaps.

Let's see if you can achieve that in, say, one year's time?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    I would challenge you not to leave the piece alone though!

The only thing that could improve on your piece would be to see a YouTube clip of a real band & drumline using it to open a real American football game, perhaps.

Let's see if you can achieve that in, say, one year's time?
    That's quite an ambitious challenge, Peter!!! And I certainly won't leave the SCORE alone for a few days yet... since, as you know, I wrote the brass choir and timpani parts in Finale, but I did all the drumline work in Sonar. So now I will be transferring the MIDI data from Sonar into Finale and cleaning up the resulting mess... housekeeping chores!

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I don't know how I could have done this without your help in working on the "Buddha" score, giving me the time to devote to the new project rather than an older one.

Meet you at the 50-yard line!

Arvid

[And thank you also for pointing out the humor in my music... not very many people catch that.]
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

I suppose you're expecting me to say I'm impressed.....................
    Well.................. I AM!!

I can almost imagine this as a marching band arrangement.

Very nice indeed! Glad to have inspired it in some way.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by voclizr View Post
    I can almost imagine this as a marching band arrangement.

Very nice indeed! Glad to have inspired it in some way.
    JB
    I did think about using a whole marching band, but there is so much heavy artillery in the brass and percussion, I'm afraid they would drown out the woodwinds -- or anyone else who happens to be in the neighborhood (except piccolos, of course)!

Thank you for inspiring it. I used to be quite a trumpet player in former days. This brought back a tremendous number of great memories. My favorite mentor, Dr. Fisher A. Tull, wrote almost exclusively for brass choirs and brass bands; he grew up with Doc Severinsen a few miles from here in Baytown, Texas, who premiered all of Dr. Tull's trumpet concertos with the Houston Symphony. He is also the inspiration for the name of my publishing company, BAD PHATT (a play on his initials F-A-T), whose logo you see at the top left of this post.

Best wishes,

Arvid
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Great Fanfare Arvid. Love the percussion at the beginning. It really
    initiates a "rush" for the listener. The brass sounds really good too
    and the intervals between the instruments provide a dramatic, contemporary
    effect.

Very well done Arvid.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast