• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lyle Mays Chorinho

Share/Bookmark

Lyle Mays Chorinho

Hi all, I have just transcribed the piece "Chorinho" by Lyle Mays for one of my students, and the way I was hearing it and how I know the brazilian "choro" style works rhythmically I have written the left hand this way:

www.robertosoggetti.com/Chorinho_sc.jpg

Bass notes on the downbeat and harmonies upbeat...
    now yesterday this guy comes to me with the official BMI score, copyrights and all, where the rhythm is reversed, bass 1 sixteenth anticipated and chords on downbeat. It all sounds shifted by a 16th to me, but this is a published score, so now I don't know. Do any of you know this particular piece or are acquainted with the choro style? Am I to trust my ear or the official score?
    Thanks...

PS here's a video of Mays performing the tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oae3Q...eature=related

Re: Lyle Mays Chorinho

I got to believe you are correct about it starting on the downbeat. Its a song that reminds me a lot of Loro by Egberto Gismonti. There is another version online posted by that drummer on your video, Mark Walker. Lyle counts in the band with his fingers and it clearly starts on the downbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayjazz View Post
    I got to believe you are correct about it starting on the downbeat. Its a song that reminds me a lot of Loro by Egberto Gismonti. There is another version online posted by that drummer on your video, Mark Walker. Lyle counts in the band with his fingers and it clearly starts on the downbeat.
    thanks Alan, isn't it rather strange that Lyle has approved the score...
    BTW I have listened to some of your music, very good indeed!

Thanks for expanding my horizons. Based on this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKD4IbqbcfY

I'd say you nailed it.

Ernie

Ernie, thank you for the link, I had already heard choros with this kind of comping, and this is why I was so sure about the transcription, but then when I was shown the printed score, I was doubting... now counting you it's already three musicians confirming my impression so I'm quite sure! There's also some beautiful brazilian songs/choros, like "Meu caro amigo" by Chico Buarque. Thanks again

Hi Roberto,
    Do you have a link to the whole transcription?
    Thanks,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pedley View Post
    Hi Roberto,
    Do you have a link to the whole transcription?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    hi Ron, sorry I just now saw your post... here's a link to the pdf, it's not really the whole piece, just the beginning 40 bars theme...

www.robertosoggetti.com/Chorinho.pdf

Go Back to forum