• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Veterans Day

Veterans Day

Today, Thursday, Nov. 11, is Veterans Day. If you know of any U.S. military veterans, please give them a smile and a kind word. And please remember that, regardless of the political ramifications of various conflicts in which the U.S. is or has been involved, veterans had no choice in those decisions and should never be blamed for unpopular wars and engagements. They serve their country to protect and defend its people and the Constitution, including those who have widely divergent views on political matters.

Thank you.
    Arvid Hand

Re: Veterans Day

You are the only U.S. military veteran I know of, so ...

... on behalf of the U.K., thanks for all you and your country have done to
    help ours (and others).

Would be good to see you here again one day!

I don't know where you get all those terrific smilies, or how to insert them into these posts, but I really like them.

Thank you, Peter.
    Arvid Hand

A strong second to Arvid's comments... both for the
    men and women of today's military, and all who have
    served in the past.

We owe them -- and it's all too easy to forget that.
    My father served in WWII (as did several of the older
    members of our forum, too modest to mention it them-
    selves) in what has rightly been called the generation
    that saved the world.

Were it not for their incredible bravery and sacrifice,
    I doubt we'd be here today, with the freedoms that we

David Sosnowski

Your words are very moving, David, and I know that any veterans who might read them will be comforted to know how much they are appreciated. Although the day is a federal holiday, hardly anyone outside the government closes their business to observe any appreciation whatsoever other than waving a (usually tiny) flag or wearing a lapel button or a poppy, which are, in reality, practically insults to us. Your words re-affirm my faith in our fellows, in spite of the abuse we are subjected to, even by our own Veterans Administration. But I'm getting too far off the track now...

And Peter, I do wish I could return to England some day, but I fear I will be too old and cranky by then to enjoy it. In fact, I would love to be in London today for the debut of the penultimate Harry Potter movie. Daniel Radcliffe has yet to impress me as an actor, but the storyline fortunately is so strong that it could carry a donkey along in that role. He is very cold and stiff and shows absolutely none of the fiery emotions the character has in Rowland's books, all of which I have read. This last book, made into two movies, will prove to me whether Radcliffe has a promising career or not after the Potter series ends. I don't believe he will, but he is certainly wealthy enough now not to care one way or the other.

See how cranky I am? Your countrymen would probably boot me out as soon as I land at Heathrow!

Best wishes to all, and may you have a wonderful day,

Arvid Hand

Orcas Island

Well put Arvid, Peter and David...

I would like to add my voice in gratitude to all our veterans.

What these fine men and women do to preserve our freedoms and keep us safe, often far from their family and loved ones, fills me with awe. The sacrifices our veterans make are essential to our freedom. Those who gave with their lives evince the highest form of love in action. And let's honor the families of veterans who also have paid a heavy price.

Words are not enough to honor and remember our veterans. It is my hope that we be a people worthy of those sacrifices.

With deep gratitude,

Although anti-American sentiments may run high around these parts (I live in The Netherlands) from time to time, we are still very grateful for our liberation in 44-45. Most of these men may have been pawns in a game of lethal chess, but their sacrifices have been amongst the greatest and bravest in history, and no revisionist should ever question that.

Wilton, NH

Thank you to all who have served our country or are currently serving.
    Trent P. McDonald

In Canada (and the Commonwealth in general) we also devote November 11 (known as Remembrance Day here) to those who fought and made sacrifices during times of war. I was born and raised during a prosperous, stable, and peaceful time in this country---thank you veterens and fallen soldiers/civilians who helped make this possible through bravery and sacrifice.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

California Redwoods

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    You are the only U.S. military veteran I know of, so ...
    There are, of course, plenty of others. But I can not think of them all, just Ron (rolifer), Navy, Vallhax (?),Air Force, and myself with 22 years, 4 months and six days of active army, long ago. But most most of the time, I don't think about it except that I have good medical care. And sometimes I remember about throwing a shoe through a window, and why I did so.

Go Back to forum