• Register
  • Help

Topic: Samples very quiet

Share/Bookmark

Samples very quiet

This isn\'t strictly a question for this forum, but I\'ll put it here anyway.
    Is it just me (and it probably is), but the audio output from my gigasampler always seems incredibly quiet!? If I play any other wavs or audio products, the volume seems naturally a lot louder. I always seem to have to tweak the output DBs to get a decent noise free volume.
    Is there something obvious I\'m missing?

Re: Samples very quiet

No, I\'ve found that too, and I\'ve routed it through 3 different good soundcards. Apparently its designed that way so that it doesn\'t overload (?!). No, I don\'t quite get it either.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paynterr:
    This isn\'t strictly a question for this forum, but I\'ll put it here anyway.
    Is it just me (and it probably is), but the audio output from my gigasampler always seems incredibly quiet!? If I play any other wavs or audio products, the volume seems naturally a lot louder. I always seem to have to tweak the output DBs to get a decent noise free volume.
    Is there something obvious I\'m missing?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can get my GigaStudio to max out easily. I usually have to set the output back to -4db or something to avoid clipping.

It might be the balanced/unbalanced +4/-10 issue that you\'re dealing with. If you\'re going -10db into a +4db system, then this might be an issue. Also, (and I\'m sure you\'ve checked this) make sure the output in the GigaStudio panel is not set too low. Other than that, it could be the card/interface you\'re using. Just some ideas...

Later,
    DD

It could be something to do with Gigasampler and perhaps goes away with Gigastudio...

I think it\'s to do with the fact that, conceivably, you could be adding whatever sound you pull up into the audio chain another 159 times.

Apparently hardware samplers use some kind of compression algorithm so that there isn\'t as wide a difference between one voice and 160 voices.

Through my Creamware audio card, Gigastudio has the lowest noise floor of any of the gear in my studio, so I can crank it up way louder than other stuff without hearing any hums or hiss build up.

Go Back to forum