• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Limited Funds, Must Choose Between GPO and Miroslav Philharmonik...Comments Solicited

Share/Bookmark

Limited Funds, Must Choose Between GPO and Miroslav Philharmonik...Comments Solicited

I will likely be purchasing either GPO4 or Miroslav Philharmonik soon. Funds do not permit me to get this wrong. I am not an accomplished keyboard player, and I am concerned that GPO requires more skill and multitasking (playing and mod wheel at the same time) than I am capable of (health conditions limit me in this area). I am aware that I can do editing after the fact. But I am also looking at Notion SLE, which is available for either one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Finale is significantly more expensive that Notion.

I'd love to hear what people here say, especially those of you who share my challenge with keyboard skills.

Aspects of comparisons I'm interested in:

1. Ease of keyboard recording to achieve acceptable results.
    2. Successful use of Notion SLE.
    3. Quality and breadth of sound library.
    4. Support community.

Thanks for any responses.

Re: Limited Funds, Must Choose Between GPO and Miroslav Philharmonik...Comments Solic

Hi John,

A few odds and ends of background that may be helpful...

I use Finale exclusively, and do not use a keyboard at all. I do everything
    strictly in score. (Scores used to render are available along with the mp3's
    for most pieces on my site.)

Finale probably is more expensive than Notion (I'm not familiar enough with
    Notion to say much on it). However, if you're considering Finale, do search
    around the 'net -- you can get it at far less than MakeMusic list price.
    There are also academic and other special pricings you might look into.

Garritan libraries and the excellent Garritan ARIA player are also fully
    integrated with Finale -- Garritan and MakeMusic work very closely together.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: Limited Funds, Must Choose Between GPO and Miroslav Philharmonik...Comments Solic

John,

If you're planning on using Notion of Finale to drive your playback, then keyboard skills aren't a factor at all. There are various methods of note input which do not require these skills, and some do not even require a midi keyboard.

Finale comes with it's bundled set of Garritan sounds, so you wouldn't need to purchase any additional libraries until you need to expand your sound palette. I assume that notion also comes bundled with a sound library.

I would suggest that you download the demo of each, get familiar with them and make a decision based on your own experience.

John,

Why not get both GPO and Miroslav?

We usually have a holiday sale so in a few weeks you'll likely be able to pick up GPO for $99. Maybe this makes it more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post

Finale comes with it's bundled set of Garritan sounds...
    A point I neglected to mention:

http://www.finalemusic.com/Finale/fe...c/default.aspx

You really do get quite a full sound set included with Finale --
    and that bears serious consideration when you're balancing
    price versus value.

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for all the inputs so far:

David: Listened to some of your stuff. Amazing. Maybe I should return my keyboard (bought a week ago), save money, and just buy notation software for input. I'll consider that and look again at Finale as an option. I could always expand later to full GPO.

Jeff: Ditto to what I said to David.

Tony: Funds prevent me from getting both, but thanks so much for the heads up on a possible $99 sale. That could clinch the deal for GPO.

All of you have helped.

Hi John,

If the price is in your ballpark, you absolutely can't go wrong w/ GPO. As per your 1-4 questions ...

1.- This to me is the same for any library, assuming you wouldn't be using wheels or pedals for either of your choices. Once your notes are in, however, the extensive CC controls available to you with GPO can turn your initial input into a very realistic performance. You didn't mention if you use a sequencing program to play your part into.

For the record, my normal workflow is the exact opposite of David's: I play my parts (with only average skills) into a sequencer (Sonar), without using any wheels/controllers at all. I then add/edit the various controllers, and then when the mix is finished, export my MIDI into Finale if I need a printed score for performers. I point this out to you to show just how versatile GPO fits into practacally anyone's workflow.

2.- Do not have/use it;

3.- It literally has everything in an orchestra but the kitchen sink (and I believe Randy has a free download of that! ).

4.- Look how many responses you have already! The artists in this community care and respect each other's endeavors; It starts at the top (w/ Mr. Garritan hisself) and it's the best!

One last thing: You get out of computer-hosted music what you put into it. The more tweaks and adjustments you are willing to make; the better the simulation will be. We all have our own personal level of what sounds "good enough". It's important to know what that level is for YOU before you evaluate libraries.

Good luck!

Regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by John6448 View Post
    David: Listened to some of your stuff. Amazing. Maybe I should return my keyboard (bought a week ago), save money, and just buy notation software for input. I'll consider that and look again at Finale as an option. I could always expand later to full GPO.
    Thanks for the kind word, John.

I dug up the list of Garritan sounds included with Finale 2011:

http://downloads2.makemusic.com/fina...Finale2011.pdf

John, I will give you just one caution. If you're new to all this, there
    is a learning curve -- it's a lot like learning a real-world instrument in
    that regard... it takes time and practice.

Fortunately, there are quite a few veterans here in the forum to help new-
    comers along. We look forward to having you onboard!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

John,

Just so you know, there is a substantial discount for Finale available to anyone associated with an academic institution, or a theological discount. If that doesn't apply, just shop around 'til you find the best price.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I downloaded the Finale 2011 demo. I can get that on eBay for $227 if my daughter can qualify for an academic discount (email to vendor has been sent).

I am not totally new to all this, having produced a few background scores for vocalists using Edirol Orchestral some years ago before I had to sell all my software and gear. I use Sonar, and just upgraded from version 3 Studio to 8.5 Producer for the fabulous price of $99. Couldn't resist it. Health issues as a result of a serious heart attack in 2002 limit my stamina to an hour or two on days when other demands don't take priority, which is often. But I'm wanting to get back into orchestral arrangements purely as a hobby. This background should explain why funds are limited.

Anyway, I was really impressed with the ease of use of Notion in their videos, but the demo of Finale should help me decide which way to go.

Thanks again to all.

Go Back to forum