• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Keyswitches on GPO 4 Full Strings patch

Share/Bookmark

Using Keyswitches on GPO 4 Full Strings patch

Hi

I'm using the Standard Full strings patch (KS) in GPO 4 and having trouble accessing the keyswitches on the keyboard. I can see the switches in the Aria player but they're an octave lower than than the keyboard. I can use the first two but the rest are out of range. Does anyone know if you can lose the first octave (C0) otherwise I have you use my mouse to change them on screen...kind of defeats the object!

Many thanks

Ian

Re: Using Keyswitches on GPO 4 Full Strings patch

Can you transpose the keyboard, Ian? Most keyboard
    controllers let you do that.

I've also seen set-ups where a cheap secondary keyboard
    (like the little two-octave units) are used just for key-
    switching...

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi, Ian - I understand the problem. My keyboard transposes up and down octaves, like most of them, as Et Lux pointed out, but when I use the shift button to drop an octave, I'm still not in the range needed for the keyswitches. Solution? - I insert those keyswitch notes in the Piano Roll View of my sequencer, Sonar.

You don't want to just click the keys on Aria's virtual keyboard, since that won't make your selections part of your project. That method is just for auditioning sounds.

You didn't mention what software you're using for your projects - but both sequencer and notation programs let you insert notes by hand easily.

Randy

Hi...thanks for the info, I'm using logic... I transposed my keyboard and it worked!! only trouble everything is an octave higher but I don't really use the high strings anyway ;0)

Many thanks

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by 43belmont View Post
    Hi...thanks for the info, I'm using logic... I transposed my keyboard and it worked!! only trouble everything is an octave higher but I don't really use the high strings anyway ;0)

Many thanks

Ian
    Hello again, Ian

Glad you found your keyboard's transpose function, but that's meant to be used just temporarily as needed - you don't need to keep it in the new octave for the whole project. Record in multiple passes, as many layers of data as you want, to build your project. One time through, you have the keyboard transposed so you can record those switches, then back to normal for the rest.

Randy

Hi Randy

Yes totally agree...I guess the reason I wanted the Keyswitches on Full Strings to work, was because it’s great for sketching out ideas, before moving on to building the project layer by layer. Is this how you use it? Incidentally I have to say, GPO is fantastic considering the price tag!!

Regard

Ian

I have the same problem with many patches on my 88 key keyboard
    yamaha es 90

I'll have to try transposing it

it seems like this could need a fix because the instruments keys are where they are mapped on screen but the key-switches are an octave lower.
    aren't they designed to be played in real time on an 88 key keyboard?

I would love to be able to use them without fiddling with a transposed keyboard
    does anyone else have this problem?

thanks ,
    Russ

Go Back to forum