• Register
  • Help

Topic: Of radio stations and such...

Share/Bookmark

Of radio stations and such...

I was looking through a number of 'radio' stations which stream over the internet this last week, and DPDAN's post about Classic 99 came to mind... which brought back to mind a radio program which I listened to once upon a time.

I don't know how many Canadians there are around here... or any who remember it... but back in my university days in the 90's, my alarm clock/radio was set to CBC Radio 2 (which if I remember correctly, was called 'CBC Stereo' back then, being the FM station, as contrasted with their AM station). Every morning, my wakeup call would be the 'Stereo Morning' program hosted by Peter Togni. Always a great selection of music, and to this day his 'Shimmeree' piece (short variations of which were used as an intro and exit for the program) is among my favourite pieces to listen to. Sadly, eventually it was replaced by another program... sometime around 2000 I think... still classical, though I guess because of what I was used to, it never quite felt the same. I ended up moving to a place where I cannot pull in a clear signal for CBC's FM station, and have since lost track of what has been happening there now... it's available for streaming, but there's a lot less classical content there than once was it seems.

Which brings me back to the present... I am in search of a good station to be played in my office. Preferably something with not too many modern and abstract pieces, so as to be inaccessible to those more used to popular fare, and also preferably less lively music in general, to hopefully be more soothing to patients who may be present. The local radio stations leave much to be desired, unfortunately... Would anyone happen to have any good suggestions, or perhaps places to start looking? (Classic 99 is among those in consideration )
    -- Matt Wong

Re: Of radio stations and such...

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    I was looking through a number of 'radio' stations which stream over the internet this last week, and DPDAN's post about Classic 99 came to mind... which brought back to mind a radio program which I listened to once upon a time.

I don't know how many Canadians there are around here... or any who remember it... but back in my university days in the 90's, my alarm clock/radio was set to CBC Radio 2 (which if I remember correctly, was called 'CBC Stereo' back then, being the FM station, as contrasted with their AM station). Every morning, my wakeup call would be the 'Stereo Morning' program hosted by Peter Togni. Always a great selection of music, and to this day his 'Shimmeree' piece (short variations of which were used as an intro and exit for the program) is among my favourite pieces to listen to. Sadly, eventually it was replaced by another program... sometime around 2000 I think... still classical, though I guess because of what I was used to, it never quite felt the same. I ended up moving to a place where I cannot pull in a clear signal for CBC's FM station, and have since lost track of what has been happening there now... it's available for streaming, but there's a lot less classical content there than once was it seems.

Which brings me back to the present... I am in search of a good station to be played in my office. Preferably something with not too many modern and abstract pieces, so as to be inaccessible to those more used to popular fare, and also preferably less lively music in general, to hopefully be more soothing to patients who may be present. The local radio stations leave much to be desired, unfortunately... Would anyone happen to have any good suggestions, or perhaps places to start looking? (Classic 99 is among those in consideration )
    Are you in a position to be able to stream radio stations from the internet? That capability would give you the widest possible selection of stations. There's not even a need for a PC to do this if you have WiFi with kit like this available.

AOL has a great free radio station. You can listen to all type of stuff, classical, rock, pop, country, film scores, video game music, etc...

I work on a radio station back up in Pennsylvania. We do internet simulcasting and are a multi-format station. Thus, we do a wide range of music from classical to classic rock to metal to jazz to the abstract. It would mainly be our morning hour programming that you would be interested in.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I already have a (headless) computer set up to do all the work, so as long as I can point it to a URL that'll return audio in a codec I can deal with, I'll be fine (ie. don't need to use their special program/flashplayer/etc. to play it).

I won't have a lot of time to play with it during the day, change channels, or whatnot; perhaps between appointments and at lunch, so it'll mostly be a matter of starting it up in the morning and letting it run for the rest of the day.

Will have to check out the AOL stuff a bit more thoroughly; just had a peek and it looks like a pretty wide selection to go through.

Hoping to find something that'll fit the bill!
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum