• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is the first thing you're going to do with GWL?

Share/Bookmark

What is the first thing you're going to do with GWL?

While we anxiously wait... or at least try to wait...

What's the very first thing you're going to do when world comes out? I personally really want to try out the European wind and string instruments, as well as some of the middle eastern ones. Definitely want to do something with those recorders, and the Duduk.

I'm probably most excited about the various winds and strings, and the least excited about the percussion. (I'm definitely NOT a percussionist. If anything, I tend to neglect them more than I should. )

So, what are you excited about?

And, for fun, I'm just going to take a guess that it's going to be out before December. *oh please oh please oh please*

Re: What is the first thing you're going to do with GWL?

The first thing I'm going to do is open the installer.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Clever, very clever.

Revisit some old pieces which have been dying for some attention. Mainly with the pipes.

Of course, you can never resist going through the instruments one by one and seeing what is possible with them...
    -- Matt Wong

I was thinking maybe a Chinese-African Tango-Polka..

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    I was thinking maybe a Chinese-African Tango-Polka..
    I can hear that. Something to give Lawrence Welk fans some good, sturdy nightmares.

SO - We've finally come to the big day. World has been unleashed. I know there have been some installation issues - but those will be cleared up when the programmers are back at work at it starting tomorrow.

But from reading the new thread, it looks like some people have been having some success. I wonder if new projects using World are already in progress? I bet they are.

I've had a fantastic time, playing with this "toy" for quite awhile now, in the various incarnations the Beta team tested out over the last year.

I still have some demos in progress, and they'll hopefully be up soon on Gary's World page.

As I said on another thread, my contribution to this year's Christmas album used World in the second half of "O Little Town of Bethlehem." The image of the whole world joining in song together was my inspiration, and World made it possible.

A general tip: - As you try out the instruments in World, and start recording projects using them, keep in mind that like any solid Library of instruments/sounds, what you have in the software is the raw material. If you just push keys on your keyboard, or click Aria's keyboard to audition a sound - you're only hearing the beginnings of possibilities, you're not hearing what the instruments can really sound like.

Don't be a "I gotta have it all straight out of the box" type.

More than ever you need to go full bore with the use of MIDI controllers. The things that control each instrument are conveniently located and labeled on the Controls screen. Don't neglect using all of them. Use your pitch bend, Aftertouch, vibrato speed, breath noise control et al - those are the tools that will make the raw data of the samples come to life.

Have fun!

Randy

Sounds really great for the most part! Some of the instruments sound just a tad over produced. I think some of these would have definitely benefited from a more raw sound. However, most of them sound amazing! (at first, I thought they all sounded badly recorded, far away and echoy until I realized that I was actually running them through the reverb in the player and an external reverb )

I must admit that the Duduk is a bit of a disappointment. The one in GWL has a very harsh sound to it, and is not nearly as gentle as I had hoped. It sounds good, but isn't quite what I was hoping for.

Having so much fun right now! Not sure what I'm going to do. So many possibilities.

Nice job with this library.

I really like the Duduk - it has edge and realism to it! The other reed instruments are somewhat softer. I guess if a softer sound is needed a little EQ and reverb can do the trick.

My only complaint is that it's a bit overwhelming with all those instruments! I wish there was a better way of organizing things. This is going to take a long time to get through it all.

Quote Originally Posted by byondblessed View Post
    Nice job with this library.

I really like the Duduk - it has edge and realism to it! The other reed instruments are somewhat softer. I guess if a softer sound is needed a little EQ and reverb can do the trick.

My only complaint is that it's a bit overwhelming with all those instruments! I wish there was a better way of organizing things. This is going to take a long time to get through it all.
    Hi, byondblessed

I know what you mean, it's overwhelming how much is packed into this library!

Your post made me think of two things- I wanted to make sure you and everyone is aware that in the very upper left hand corner of Aria, you can choose from a great set of pre-made ensembles. It's a quick start for setting up projects.

And, if you use the arrows pointing left and right next to an instrument's name slot, you can step your way through the library without constantly having to open up the whole menu.

I made a brief, silent video to show those tools in action:

Aria menu options and World

Another important note about World, and all of the Garritan libraries, is that the default settings for an instrument may not be what you need. The MIDI volumes come up at various
    levels, and often may be much lower than you want. Part of my routine is to grab the sliders in Aria and bring them up to at least 3/4 the way up. The quiet default setting can be deceptive.

Also, some instruments load with the Stereo Stage on. That effect may or may not be what you want for a given project. Always look at the Controls screen and make choices about the Stereo Stage, Auto Legato, EQ etc - don't just accept the defaults, because those settings may have a more "produced" sound than you want.

Randy

Go Back to forum