• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's on the Menu? Way OT (unless you are American)

Share/Bookmark

What's on the Menu? Way OT (unless you are American)

Well, with tomorrow being Thanksgiving (here in the US), what are you making/serving/eating? I'll start:

Samosas
    Indonesian peanut sauce over pasta/veg
    Farinata

And just to prove that we can make food from a country that doesn't being with the letter I (India, Indonesia, Italy), we'll also have some pumpkin pie.

Hope everyone has a great and peaceful day.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: What's on the Menu? Way OT (unless you are American)

Wow, like the looks of your menu!

We're having a mostly standard American meal, with the New Mexican addition of tamales and biscochitos.

Of course, anyone who wants to stop by for biscochitos and coffee would be more than welcome!

Jon

Not much unusual here except that I do the day-to-day cooking and my wife does all the holiday cooking!

Turkey.
    Sage stuffing (not in-bird).
    Wild Rice.
    Sweet Potatoes.
    Sweet and Sour Green Beans (French cut green beans with vinegar/sugar and bacon - extremely healthy).
    Rolls.
    Whole cranberry cranberry sauce.
    A relish plate of several types of olives and carrots and things.
    Gewürztraminer.

Pumpkin pie.
    Pecan pie.
    Coffee.

I have two daughters. BOTH boyfriends will be here this year. I expect to not have many leftovers.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bryson View Post
    Wow, like the looks of your menu!

We're having a mostly standard American meal, with the New Mexican addition of tamales and biscochitos.

Of course, anyone who wants to stop by for biscochitos and coffee would be more than welcome!

Jon
    I'll let you know if we have any samosas left over. If so, you're all welcome to stop by!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Kate and I are doing something we've done before because we enjoy it so much- We ordered our Thanksgiving dinner from a great restaurant here in Salem, Oregon, called Wild Pear. Everything they make is always extra special and good.

So, fairly traditional - but with whatever secret magic Wild Pear always imparts to their dishes:

Butternut Squash Soup
    Russet Mashed Potatoes
    Sausage Stuffing
    Cranberry Orange Relish
    and of course Turkey
    with Roasted Turkey Gravy

Can't go wrong. AND we ordered enough so we have left-overs, as if we'd prepared it all ourselves--because people Always make too much food on purpose. What would Thanksgiving be without left-overs - Turkey Sandwiches with a bit of Cranberry sauce spread on the meat.

Hmmmmm, can hardly wait.

Randy

Tofurkey! (for my vegetarian daughter, but I'm going for the real thing)

I'm with you, Randy! The leftovers that night are the REAL highlight of the day for us too .

We are having a very small celebration this year; My wife Barbara, brother Bill, and bff Charlie. Christmas will be a much bigger crowd though. Of course that dosen't stop me from making too much food! The menu, "Italian-style" ...

Salad w/ roasted peppers, sharp provolone, olives, tomatoes, lots of olive oil, good wine vinegar, oregano, and kosher salt ... it's a meal in itself!

Ravioli w/ San Marzano marinara, basil, fresh-grated Locatelli ... ummm!

Turkey w/ sausage and mushroom dressing, plus I also made an oyster-corn dressing just for the fun of it. Stuffed-mushrooms, mashed rutabega, roasted Yukon and sweet potatoes, roasted asparagus, and whole-cranberry sauce.

Desserts ... I'm the only non-diabetic tomorrow so I'll make a no sugar-added apple crisp with a no sugar strawberry syrup. I think Barbara's making some kind of pumpkin cake as well ... and of course, Coffee-coffee-coffee-Tea-tea-tea!

I usually also make a turkey-wild rice soup for the appetizer (Italians usually have the salad as a digestive after the main course) but thought I would 'streamline' the meal this year!

And of course, turkey, lettuce, mayo sandwiches at 11:00pm ... can't wait!

Happy Thanksgiving to all ... God Bless.

Frank

PS: My 'secret' is to make everything today, Wednesday, then carve up the turkey tonight when it's chilled (much easier getting good slices) and have everything ready to heat in some turkey broth at service on Thanksgiving.

Excellent menu there, Frank - And good prep tip there at the end!

Gary - here's something for your daughter, she can put it on Facebook, My Space, and be a proud vegetarian tomorrow:

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post

Tofurkey! (for my vegetarian daughter, but I'm going for the real thing)
    Gary,

We're not vegan, but we are vegetarian, so if your daughter needs leftovers, send her on over!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Well, I had meant to order a nice plump turkey
    from my local butcher.

However, it appears a miscommunication may
    have occurred...

Go Back to forum