• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: curious... what is GPO working on for an next update?

Share/Bookmark

curious... what is GPO working on for an next update?

I am always curious what more there will come in software and because I am very happy with GPO, the same here!

So in case the GPO creators are working on something, what could this be? Personal, I would love to see real staccato samples for the woodwinds, and maybe something that would give the Stereo Stage option a better effect, because I don't feel the difference so much when using it and turned it off completely after some experimentation. It would be great to have a way to put the instruments in an easier way on stage, left/right, front/back.

But as I said, I am very happy with GPO and have good very good results with only little effort from my side!

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Re: curious... what is GPO working on for an next update?

i'd actually like to see woodwind sections, like those for the strings and brass. being able to load say, a KS flute section rather than a half-dozen individual flutes would be lovely...

k
    "...you get to drink from...THE FIREHOSE!!!"

As surprising as it would seem, that's really not the most realistic option. I have a program that has "sections" of 3 instruments, 3 flute, 3 clarinet, etc...

The makers of this software are working on a new library JUST for winds, and have actually said that they're only making solo instruments that you can build your own ensembles with due to it sounding more realistic.

Sections work great with strings and brass, but winds apparently seem to work best when you have several solo instruments to work with.

Edit: That's not to say that it isn't useful from time to time just to slap a 3 flute track on here and there if I'm not worried about how realistic it sounds.

There already are flute, clarinet and brass sections available in the Concert Band library.

Quote Originally Posted by kelldammit View Post
    i'd actually like to see woodwind sections, like those for the strings and brass. being able to load say, a KS flute section rather than a half-dozen individual flutes would be lovely...

k
    Concert and Marching Band has wind sections. I use three of the flute sections with two detuned a bit to simulate a concert band flute section. Same for clarinets.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Concert and Marching Band has wind sections. I use three of the flute sections with two detuned a bit to simulate a concert band flute section. Same for clarinets.

only "a bit"? mustn't sound very realistic...

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    only "a bit"? mustn't sound very realistic...
    To emulate my old high school band, you would have to detune to the max!

Hi André,

Thanks for asking. We are working on GPO5. Some of the things we are working on is adding convolution and other modules, as well as more samples.

This may be a good time to ask all of you what you would like to see in GPO5. Please let us know what you would like to see in the next version.

My best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post
    I am always curious what more there will come in software and because I am very happy with GPO, the same here!

So in case the GPO creators are working on something, what could this be? Personal, I would love to see real staccato samples for the woodwinds, and maybe something that would give the Stereo Stage option a better effect, because I don't feel the difference so much when using it and turned it off completely after some experimentation. It would be great to have a way to put the instruments in an easier way on stage, left/right, front/back.

But as I said, I am very happy with GPO and have good very good results with only little effort from my side!

André

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Hi André,

Thanks for asking. We are working on GPO5. Some of the things we are working on is adding convolution and other modules, as well as more samples.

This may be a good time to ask all of you what you would like to see in GPO5. Please let us know what you would like to see in the next version.

My best,

Gary

Better sounding strings?
    They are the one "weak" point in GPO at this point. Most of the other instruments are incredibly realistic. While the strings don't sound "bad", well, there's always room for improvement.

And of course, string techniques: col legno, bartok pizz, real harmonics, just the actual basics.

Just two things (two big things) would improve GPO immensely, but are probably impossible to do since this many samples were not part of the original mission, but might be possible if samples that were not used in the final versions of GPO could be used.

At least four round robin samples per note.
    No loops.

Ever notice how nice multiple "like" instruments sound playing unison but they only sound nice for less than a second, that is because they are all looping way too soon and tuned so there is absolutely no pitchy wobble. The wobble is a good thing. If we could get no looping, and reprogram the library to create a real release with "note off" these things would make this library oh so much better.

I do agree that the strings are the weak point because of the heavy vibrato, so maybe some NV strings could be added to the library, scratch that, maybe some strings with less vibrato.
    Dan

Go Back to forum