• Register
  • Help

Topic: Synthogy Ivory Italian Grand VS Imperfect Samples Fazioli

Share/Bookmark

Synthogy Ivory Italian Grand VS Imperfect Samples Fazioli

link is here
    Virtual Piano Domain Piano Arena-Two Fazioli Samples Comparison
    here have some rendering MP3 demos to let you judge the sound of both Fazioli but I found it is really a painful to judge who can win. Seems their soundwise are in two opposite directions.

Re: Synthogy Ivory Italian Grand VS Imperfect Samples Fazioli

I'm in a listening mood... It's clear... the Ivory is much, much closer to an accurate recorded sound... and that's obvious even on my old KEF 104s. But even the Ivory doesn't have the "presence" of a true piano recording. It might be great to play... but no ambience or head room in the sound.

My 2 cents.

JG

Overall I prefer the Imperfect Samples in these recordings, and I think the reason for this is that it has more ambience. However, I've heard other recordings of the Ivory with more ambience too.

Greg.

Why would you want ambience in a sample set? Firstly it's a bit like playing a piano that is sitting on the other side of the room and secondly you can add your own to taste. Adding a hall reverb to a sample set with natural ambience just sounds weird.

Quote Originally Posted by smaug View Post
    Why would you want ambience in a sample set? Firstly it's a bit like playing a piano that is sitting on the other side of the room and secondly you can add your own to taste. Adding a hall reverb to a sample set with natural ambience just sounds weird.

Not if you know how to do it.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Note that I didn't actually say that I wanted ambience in the samples. I don't know how much ambience in these recordings in "in the samples", and how much is due to reverb.

However, it seems to be quite common for sampled pianos to come with multiple mic perspectives. If there were NO reason to have "ambience in the samples", then developers would only be including one "perspective", that was recorded as anechoically as possible, so that the user could then put the piano in whatever virtual space they wanted. I'd like to think that developers know what they are doing, and include the extra perspectives for a good reason. ;^)

The "sampled reverb" technique, where the ambience tails are included in the samples as well, appeals to me, however I'm not sure whether any of the products I have use this technique or not.

Greg.

Go Back to forum