• Register
  • Help

Topic: Still In Search of This Kind of Piano Sound...Any ideas?

Share/Bookmark

Still In Search of This Kind of Piano Sound...Any ideas?

Here's a link to a very small mp3 download, short excerpt, of the kind of piano sound I just can't get out of Ivory II. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please chime in. Can't tell whether this piano is a Steinway or Yamaha, etc...but note the bell like quality of the higher notes. I can't find that in any sampled piano yet. It also manages to be more up close sounding than many sample libraries, without being just dead in your face.

http://homepage.mac.com/oceantracks/...%20Example.zip

Thanks for any suggestions

Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Re: Still In Search of This Kind of Piano Sound...Any ideas?

Not much of a piano expert but if i would have to guess, i would say Steinway.

You should take a look at Bestservice "Vintage D" (available at try-sound.com BTW)[COLOR=#000000 ! important][/COLOR]
    rothermusic.de

it is played extremely soft in that passage.
    Michael Buble is typically produced by David Foster, and that is a David Foster tune.
    It is probably David Foster playing a Yamaha.
    The bell like quality you are hearing in this mix is not created by the piano, but
    rather the compression used on it. Significant overuse of compression settings (slow attack)
    will produce this affect on any sound that breaths like a piano while it sustains chords, notes etc.
    Dan

Thanks.

The bell like timbre is more than compression though. It's a characteristic of some pianos that I just haven't found yet in samples, though I've certainly played real grands that had that quality, and I believe one of them was in fact a Yamaha. The Ivory Yamaha sounds nothing like that though. I have other examples by other artists...love that sound and wish I could find it!

Foster did do this track, thanks for the info I didn't know he was a Yamaha fan!

Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

You might want to try Indipendence piano, it can get somewhat close to this kind of sound...
    here's a little example:

www.robertosoggetti.com/IndiPiano.mp3

Hi:

That is a nice sound. Sampled pianos have for the most part lacked that bell like quality most commercial piano sounds have. This has been one of my biggest gripe about sampled pianos. But the most recent addition I got, Alicia's Keys from NI, has been the most brilliant sounding piano I have used in quite some time. This piano has got the bell like sounding charecteristic that you can do so much with. I think you can eq, reverbs and compress to get really different sound out of it. Experiment which I think is easier to play with to alter the tone to taste, because of the bell like quality of these samples.

But again its a slightly differnt sounding Yamaha, a C3 Neo vs C7. You may not be able to get a really sharp and edgy sound like Jim Brickman who also uses a yamaha, but you may be able to attain a softer yamaha sound. I think with some experiments, you may be able to get close to the sound your looking for. I think. It has become the piano of choice for me now.

Here is something I found on U tube, I really love the sound of this piano.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pianist6.../6/_5k0qxG39PU

OH BTW, the Indi piano does sound very close to the sound your'r after

Dd

Go Back to forum