• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway Sample Sour Note

Steinway Sample Sour Note

I have the EastWest Steinway B CD. The last note on the keyboard sounds out of tune. Could it be that they sampled a piano with the highest note out of tune. I don\'t have a piano in front of me but it\'s the highest note to the right that can be playable on an 88 note controller.

Re: Steinway Sample Sour Note

I also have noticed that the highest C of the East West Steinway B sounds a bit out of tune. The East-West Boesendorfer which is made by the same person, Truan, has even more notes in the upper register that sound a bit out of tune. I am surprised that Truan didn’t notice these things since otherwise the recording and sound quality of his samples are excellent. One thing that can be done to address it is to adjust the pitch of the sample, either in the instrument editor or the actual sample itself in a wave editor (if the wave file hasn’t been compressed). A quick fix is to just use another sample like the one right below it for that note. The note will now be transposed in what was a piano sampled from every note so it is not an ideal solution but it may sound better overall than it was before.

I have the Steinway B also. To me it sounds \"within bounds\" for a typical stretch tuning. Piano tuners vary as to how much stretch they apply, particularly in the top octave and especially in the top few notes. I\'ve encountered top C\'s nearly a half step sharp on occasion in freshly tuned concert pianos. So I would consider this an authentic \"defect.\" You can certainly retune the note in the editor (be sure to catch all the dimensions for the note) if it offends your ear. - Doug

Thanks for the interesting comment on stretch tuning, Doug. I still have some issues, however! First of all, if the Steinway B is stretch tuned, it should clearly be mentioned in its documentation and it isn\'t. Most samples CD\'s come in equal temperament and if they are tuned otherwise, they might have another version of the instrument clearly stating that. And if it really is stretch tuned, that would make playing in a mix a problem. But more importantly, even if it is really stretch tuned, that high C8 note still stands out like a sore thumb! My Alesis Classical Piano QCard, for example, comes in both equal temperament and stretch tuning. I can hear the slight tension introduced in the stretched tuned version, but it is always musical and gradual. The Steinway B sounds fine all the way to the high B7 and then that C8 comes in. So even if that particular note is within bounds, the stretching I would think should come gradually and musically between notes and not stand out in the last one.

[This message has been edited by Mega (edited 06-08-2001).]

Hi Mega,

Yes, I agree with you, if it\'s just one note that\'s out of line it\'s certainly a bit odd. But I wouldn\'t fault anyone for not reporting they used stretched tuning. It\'s the norm.

I\'ve also noticed bass notes (if you play octaves) that are slightly out of tune but I suspect this may actually be a Giga issue. I have the Steinway B, Bosendorfer, Gigapiano, and I\'ve tried the Post Piano. All of them have an occasional octave that\'s too loose in the lower register. It doesn\'t seem reasonable that these notes would have been \"off\" in the original recordings. The rest of the productions are too fastidious for that to be the case. - Doug

Not to belabor this post but I experimented with top C in the editor and found a -50 cent correction in the sampler tab (for all the dimensions) fixed the problem. It\'s an easy fix. - Doug

Go Back to forum