• Register
  • Help

Topic: Upgrading from Window XP to Win 7 x64 - Samples ALREADY stored on separate drive

Share/Bookmark

Upgrading from Window XP to Win 7 x64 - Samples ALREADY stored on separate drive

I THINK I've already go this worked out, but it was far too time consuming than I thought necessary. Part of that is my own ignorance and part of it is the lack of flexibility and clarity in the Garritan/Aria install programs (JABB & GPO4); I'm not sure if I'm 99% of the problem.

1) Where to install the 32 bit & 64 bit vst? The install engine installed both vst's in my "Program Files" folder - the 64 bit folder - rather than the 32 bit vst in the "Program Files (x86)" folder, where I thought 32 apps will look. I manually moved the 32 bit vst into the vst folder I created in the "Program Files (x86)" folder. I tried loading JABB as vst in Live - after telling Live where to look - and it seemed to work just fine. [The install engine installed 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the Aria player into the two separate program files folders.]

??? Is the comingling of 32 bit and 64 bit vsts in one folder typical? Will 32 but apps look in that 64 bit folder and have no trouble recognizing the appropriate vst and load it?

2) If my prior installation of the GPO4 already had all the samples and GPO4 files installed on my separate internal audio drive, is there any need to install the GPO4 orchestra files at all?

I'm looking for guidance in better understanding how Windows 7 x64 file structures should be managed when many of my apps and vst's are still 32 bit. The more I can know in the beginning the less time I'll spend cleaning up a mess of my own creation later.

I also looked on the Garritan site for an explicit discussion of this issue but found nothing I thought on point. Which doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere. I think clear coverage of this issue would be useful since more and more people will be making this conversion.

Thanks.

Richard

Re: Upgrading from Window XP to Win 7 x64 - Samples ALREADY stored on separate drive

It doesn't matter where you put the 32 or 64 bit versions of VST's. Mine are all located in the same VST plugin directory under C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins. This actually makes it easier to locate plugins if you leave them in the one folder.

GPO4 will need to be installed again in Win7. Just install the samples in the same location as they already are so you don't end up with 2 sets of samples.

After installing, then download the latest ARIA player 1.111 to have all the latest features.

Jim

Re: Upgrading from Window XP to Win 7 x64 - Samples ALREADY stored on separate drive

I'm not the most sophisticated computer user and made my decision to put 32 bit dll's in the (x86) vst folder and 64 bit dll's in the main vst folder based on prior readings where I learned not all greater computer minds agree on such strategies.

I use Ableton Live, a 32 bit app, much more than Sonar and, right or wrong, I concluded the mixing up of 32 & 64 bit dll's and apps leads to trouble. I do know I need to install both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Sonar and the Cakewalk instruments.

I also use the Cakewalk instruments in Live. Live's "preferences" give me a choice to direct the program to a specific vst folder, which I do. I'm not sure if the presence of 64 bit dll's there would confuse it. I do know that if the .exe files for standalone versions of the programs - as with Cakewalk's Rapture, Dimension Pro and z3ta+ - are in the same vst folder Live doesn't "see" the dll. Cakewalk's instrument installers put the microhost exe file next to the dll in the vst folder which screws up Live's ability to recognize the dll at all.

Garritan's installer refers to installing "the orchestra" (GPO4) and for me to pick a location. "Orchestra" seems to refer to both instrument definitions and the samples, both of which were already on my D:drive. I wish installers were a little "smarter" in allowing a user to inform it that those elements are already present and there is no need to reinstall that element.

Time is not such an issue with Garritan products; they're very efficient. But today I'll be reinstalling Komplete 7 and the Spectrasonics instruments, neither of which are lean and both of which contributed to my desire to go 64 bit. I'm PRAYING that I can successfully install them without reinstalling the massive volume of sample content they ship with which is already on my D: drive. I understand that Kontakt will allow me to "add libraries" and easily point the app to where the sample content lives; we'll see.

I do wish the audio product industry installers were more "intelligent" and flexible in allowing a user to inform it that the multiple gigabytes of sample content, and consequent hours of installation time, are already installed; the engine just needs to install the program files and reestablish the links.

Richard

Kontakt will allow to add libraries as long as they are not the encrypted kind. These are the ones that usually come with Kontakt Player. You will need to re-install those.

Jim

I have to tell everyone that Spectrasonics updates went so fast and easy you'd think the programmers might actually be users, too! I ran the most recent downloaded update for each product, which I already had sitting in a folder I maintain for each instrument, and that effected a complete reinstallation of the instrument - but not the content. Of course, the sample content, fully updated, is already sitting on my D drive.

I opened Live and dragged and dropped an instance of RMX into Live; I was told I needed to reauthorize it, which I did without even leaving Live. I was then told to delete this instance of RMX and drag and drop again, which I did. THEN the instrument said to me "We don't see the SAGE folder; would like to reset that link now?" Or words to that effect. DAMNED RIGHT! So I just pointed RMX to the SAGE folder on my D drive and I was done!

Same process with Omnisphere and Trillian, except once I pointed Omnisphere to the STEAM folder I didn't need to tell Trilian where it was; Trilian already knew! The ENTIRE process for all 3 instruments took about 15 minutes. I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was.

I wish all code writers of installation programs would consider that the gigantic and time consuming data files are already present all they need to do is reestablish the link. The Spectrasonics folks are the only ones I'm aware of with such a customer service priority.

Richard

Go Back to forum