• Register
  • Help

Topic: Demonstration Composition Lesson - Now Orchestrated

Share/Bookmark

Demonstration Composition Lesson - Now Orchestrated

To those of you who may have looked at the Demonstration Lesson and heard the piano sketch, an mp3 of an orchestrated version has been posted. I think it shows how simple it can be to create music of interest in a simple sketch and then blow it up into the orchestra without adding to much to the basic idea. At least it shows how a good basic idea that works in a piano rendition will tend to work very well when expanded into the orchestra.

DC

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...osition-Lesson

Re: Demonstration Composition Lesson - Now Orchestrated

To those of you interested in orchestral mockups the version now posted is the 4th and tweaked quite a bit. Far better sounding I think.

Hi Dave

I really like this lesson and the orchestration. As a side note, might you be able to comment how you chose which instruments to play which bits - also would dramatically different orchestration realise a completely different feel to the piece - I'd be interested if yourself or anyone else wants to try that?

Kind regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

I orchestrated it in a very straight forward way because I wanted the entire lesson to have a simplicity at every stage. For example, the opening descending triads seem to be a single idea that would be most favorably presented in a single color (strings) so as not to artificially break up the triad by using different colors (instruments.) Although it would have been effective placed in winds as well. One of the points of the lesson was that stronger material tends to orchestrate easier. So if you have solid basic material you are really helping your cause before you orchestrate.

Other than that I tend to orchestrate according to weight (light to heavy), brilliance (dark to light) and character (what the material calls for emotionally or even technically as in making it sound nimble or ponderous etc.)

HTH

Go Back to forum