• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TubaChristmas

Share/Bookmark

TubaChristmas

Hi, everyone...

Did anyone notice that I have been away for a while? You have probably been celebrating my absence, as it doubtless caused the forum IQ to rise a few points...

Anyway, time for me to make my annual appeal for you to find a TubaChristmas in your area and enjoy the delightful sound. The arrangements are by two people very dear to me: the late, great American composer Alec Wilder and my college housemate Norlan Bewley. The music is played on euphoniums and tubas--a brass version of a Welsh Male Choir...TTBB!!

All you need to do is go to Tubachristmas.com and search by state for the one nearest you.
    Performers are local pros, amateurs, and students. Ages range from 12 to 85.

Perhaps Mr. Garritan will chime in, as he has enjoyed the splendor of TubaChristmas on at least one occasion.

TubaChristmas is a tradition started in 1974 by my musical mentor, Harvey Phillips. Never one to think or act (or be) small, Harvey held the first TubaChristmas in Rockefeller Center. I was proud to be part of that auspicious debut; the only times I have missed TubaChristmas since 1974 were when I was either living overseas or in the hospital.

This is a sad year for me since Harvey died last month, but playing the music twice with great performers and friends this weekend will be cathartic and remind me of my nearly forty-year association with Harvey Phillips. I have been fortunate that people such as Harvey, Alec, and Norlan have allowed me to be part of their personal and musical circle.

OK..back I go; Forum IQ now up 17 points.
    Snor.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: TubaChristmas

Thanks Snor,

It is getting to be that season. Tuba Christmas! Those glorious deep notes may not sink the IQ lower, but are guaranteed to lift the spirits higher!

Tuba Christmas is very popular and has become a tradition in many communities. It is such a delightful experience and will have you rolling in subsonic sugarplums.

Harvey Phillips, Snor's teacher, is the founder of Tuba Christmas and is regarded as the father of modern American tuba playing. Snor has been a board member of the Harvey Phillips Foundation and worked closely with Harvey on a number of projects for many years. This year's Tuba Christmas is especially meaningful with Harvey Phillip's passing. What a wonderful legacy he has left us!

We've attended for several years now and I am so looking forward to attending this year's Tuba Christmas concerts in Victoria, Canada.

And I urge all of you to attend a Tuba Christmas concert in your area.

Have a Happy Tuba Christmas!

Gary

I know the gentleman that is in charge of the concert here in St. Louis,
    I am going to contact him and see if he wants me to record it.

Thanks Jim!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Snorlax who? What's a Tuba?

Randy
    I forget...the mind is the SECOND thing to go.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

IQ TEST:

Which of these
    is a tuba
    and which
    is not?

They are both

Tuba

or

Not
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Thanks for the reminder Snorlax. Half of our Brass Sextet (well, 2/3rds - but since they are the larger ones - 1/2) are involved in the Cleveland area TubaChristmas.

Challenge #10 Winner

tubabump

Well, my low brass players loved it in Cleveland. Now off to Akron.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum