• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Movie Challenge 8 Awards Ceremony!

Share/Bookmark

The Movie Challenge 8 Awards Ceremony!

Dum da da dum! - At long last, round #8 of the Garritan Movie Challenge has wrapped up.

We had six really fun entries - APPLAUSE to our group of composers, please.

Entry #2 received the most votes - So will DAVE CHICK please step forward to receive this beautiful .jpg - his big prize!

And here's the list of who created the six sound tracks:

1) - Steve Cocchi "SteveC"

2) - Dave Chick "Chckn8r"

3) - Gordon Suave "Beardedone"

4) - Dave Chick

5) - Alan Lambton (nickname-same)

6) - Matthew Wong "Silh"

- I enjoyed everyone's work on these immensely. THANK YOU one and all.

AND a special round of applause to Chip "Reberclark" for assembling the video footage!

It would be great if these folks would step forward and tell us about the creation of their pieces. It would make for fun and informative reading. I invite you five talented folks to post on this thread with whatever info you'd like to pass on.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Now that the holidays are upon us, we should wait until January before starting any more contests. Currently there's a conversation thread where we're trying to figure out the best way to conduct the Garritan contests. Good ideas are already on that thread - please add to that discussion with your input.

We want to be more organized, not have contests overlap, and have these events on a more regular schedule so people can make plans accordingly.

Despite a glitch in getting this poll up, this contest has been fun. Now - onwards into a new era of Garritan musical contests, set up so more people can be involved both as entrants and voters.

THANK YOU ALL!

Randy

Re: The Movie Challenge 8 Awards Ceremony!

Congratulations Dave!

Everybody did a great job. Can't wait till next year.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Now that the holidays are upon us, we should wait until January before starting any more contests.
    How does that effect the Orchestral Challenge, Randy? You didn't mention it in your recap of upcoming events.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    How does that effect the Orchestral Challenge, Randy? You didn't mention it in your recap of upcoming events.
    Hi, Rich - I didn't mean to neglect the Orchestral Challenge. That's the Forum's flagship contest!

We've always considered December a wash out for a time to run a Challenge, so what do you say we have that start off the new year? We're still feeling out how to organize all this better, and it's still in process - Also, I don't mean to be calling the shots.

But whaddya say? - When the winner of current Challenge is announced - we have that person start up the new round as soon as January rolls around?

Randy

Congratulations to Dave Chick for your work on this Movie Challenge. I enjoyed your entry very much and admire people who can write in sync with action on the screen.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

CLARIFICATION--

I caused a bit of unintended confusion, not thinking through some details well enough:

--I'm not suggesting that the current Orchestration Challenge be changed in any way. I didn't mean that the deadline should be delayed. I was just saying that any new contests shouldn't be started until January.

Well - Duh, Randy - The deadline for Orchestration Challenge 26 isn't until Dec 14th. That leaves about three weeks in the year for voting. So the next round couldn't possible start before January.

I was thinking the contest was ending sooner.

SO - carry on, ignore the befuddled moderator.

Randy

Truly surprised that #4 (also done by the overall winner) only received a single vote (OK, it was mine ) I thought it showed truly original usage of the Garritan library(s).

Jon

Congratulations to everyone. I voted for nr. 6 (if I remember properly). I thought most entries were pretty good, but I gave my vote for good use of a theme. That's something I like in film music.
    Theo

I hope the creators of these entries get on this thread to say a few words about their projects. - Haven't seen some of these people recently, I should dig up their emails and alert them.

Randy

Randy, thanks for the email poke. I've been heads down in a project the past month and haven't been giving myself time to check in on all the boards I frequent.

I mentioned this on the original posting, but I'll mention it again - a really diverse and fun group of entries. It really is quite interesting how different the same minute of video (a fantastic montage reber!) was transformed six totally different ways with music. Thanks for the votes on my entry(s).

If I remember correctly (it WAS a while a go that these went up wasn't it? ), I used GPO and JABB instruments on both of them (I even used the wind machine!). The orchestral version was only supplemented by four vocal samples at the end - a couple of male choir shouts and female choir vocal clusters.

For the more "off the wall" version, I tried looking for any way to mangle the sound of the instruments - distortion, bit crushing, ring modulation, filters, high-gain amplifier modeling ... you name it. Everything was, at it's source, a Garritan sample from GPO or JABB.

Thanks again - looking forward to getting some time to get back and explore these forums some more!

D

Go Back to forum