• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound card question

Share/Bookmark

Sound card question

Back in September, I purchased a new 64-bit PC with Windows 7. There was a bunch of stuff I had to upgrade, including my sound card. I've been a fan of Turtle Beach for many years, so I bought their latest card, which is the Montego DDL. Came to find out after the fact that TB no longer supports ASIO in their sound cards, so I have two questions:

1. My two choices with the TB Montego are DirectSound and MME. What's the difference, and which choice would be best for running the ARIA player?

2. Latency is not an issue for me, since I compose in a notation program first, then export my music to a sequencer for further performance editing. However, if I build a full orchestra with GPO 4 and I get more snap, crackle, and pop than a Kellogg's factory in full swing even at the highest latency setting, I'll have to assume that my sound card is simply not up to the task. In that case, I'm wondering if someone could recommend a good ASIO sound card that won't cost me an arm, a leg, and a few other body parts I'm rather attached to. By the way, my motherboard has 2 PCI slots and 4 PCIe slots, so I could go either way there.

Thanks!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Re: Sound card question

You really need a card ASIO. Here's a basic card that will work for $99: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...le2496/reviews

Sweetwater has a few other cards with a few more features that are in the $100-$169 range.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    You really need a card ASIO. Here's a basic card that will work for $99: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...le2496/reviews

Sweetwater has a few other cards with a few more features that are in the $100-$169 range.

Jim
    Actually, the price range you mentioned is doable for me. I paid $60 for the TB Montego card, so going up to $99 isn't that much of a leap, plus I like M-Audio products anyway. With that said, the system requirements for GPO4 detailed on the Garritan website state a sound card that supports ASIO, DirectSound or MME. However, if my current sound card fails to hold up under the work I'll be doing with my symphony-in-progress, I'll definitely go with your recommendation.

Thanks, Jim!

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Another option is to try ASIO4ALL 2.9. It's an ASIO driver some have had pretty good luck with for cards that don't support ASIO. It's FREE. If you just google ASIO4ALL you'll find plenty of places to download it from.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    Another option is to try ASIO4ALL 2.9. It's an ASIO driver some have had pretty good luck with for cards that don't support ASIO. It's FREE. If you just google ASIO4ALL you'll find plenty of places to download it from.

Steve Winkler
    Totally forgot about ASIO4ALL, which is what I used with my previous TB sound card, and it worked great. I downloaded the latest version (2.10), here's the link:

http://asio4all.com/

I installed it, and tried things out with the ARIA standalone player. Long story short, latency is down to a bare minimum, and overall the new ASIO4ALL driver seems to be working very well with my TB Montego. However, there is a problem I'm running into:

For my sequencer, I'm using Cubasis VST 4, which came bundled with the first version of GPO (back in the Studio days). When I run Cubasis with the ARIA player as VST plugin, I load an instrument into ARIA, but when I try playing notes on the ARIA keyboard I get no sound. I suspect the issue has nothing to do with ASIO, though, so I'll break this out into a new topic and see if someone can help me fix the problem.

In the meantime, I really appreciate you reminding me about ASIO4ALL -- it was a big help. Thanks, Steve!

Steve

Hey Steve,

Glad that worked for you.

As for the other problem I don't have any suggestions except to follow the path of the sound to make sure everything is routed properly. I'm not familiar with the sound card but I would imagine like so many others there's some sort of control panel you can bring up and route the sound through some virtual interface. I use an M-Audio card and there are two or three different "interfaces" I can route the sound through. If I choose the wrong one I get no sound.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    Hey Steve,

Glad that worked for you.

As for the other problem I don't have any suggestions except to follow the path of the sound to make sure everything is routed properly. I'm not familiar with the sound card but I would imagine like so many others there's some sort of control panel you can bring up and route the sound through some virtual interface. I use an M-Audio card and there are two or three different "interfaces" I can route the sound through. If I choose the wrong one I get no sound.

Steve Winkler
    Unfortunately, the problem seems to be deeper than just a sound card routing issue. When I open a sequencer file in Cubasis with ARIA as the VST instrument, Cubasis crashes immediately. It still works normally with KP2, so I have to assume that Cubasis has some sort of heartburn with the ARIA player itself. I'll post with a little more detail tonight, and hopefully someone might be able to clue me in on a fix.

Thanks again for your help!

Steve

Go Back to forum