• Register
  • Help

Topic: Should I spend money on Bass sample cd's or a real bass?

Share/Bookmark

Should I spend money on Bass sample cd\'s or a real bass?

Hello,

I\'m putting together some rock, roots rock, and progressive rock compositions and need some good bass sounds. My influences on these tunes range from the beatles, steve earle, to the flaming lips, and they\'re all overdubbed compositions. I\'m not bad at guitar and was thinking about picking up a bass to lay down some low end grooves. Thing is, I\'ve never played the bass before. I\'m thinking about spending $300 bucks or so. So I guess what I\'m asking is whether you think I\'d be better off and get better sounds from me playing a real bass with an amp simulator, or if I should spend the money on some bass sample cd\'s instead. If it\'s the cd route, anyone have any recommendations for my type of music? Anyone have any bass guitar recommendations also for that price?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Should I spend money on Bass sample cd\'s or a real bass?

Hi dr.tung:

You may wanna check out the bass demoes from www.scarbee.com.

good luck

Thomas

Hello,
    have a look on Xsamples e-bass on Vol. 1 or for double bass Vol. 5 and Vol. 11. Demo and info: http://www.xsample.de

Georg

Well, I think if you buy a real Fender Precision you will be doing your music a service nby using a real instrument with a reall player feel.

But if you insist on several types of bass sounds, then perhaps sample CD\'s is the most useful and certainly more sensibal (unless you want to become a multi-talented bassist).
    I have Will Lee\'s Bass Library. very useful sounds and he gives you a choice of Fender P-Bass, Sadowsky 5 string and 4 string, Fender jazz fretless, Pedulla 8 string fretless, Yamaha 5-string acoustic fretless, Hofner 500-1 (like Paul McCartney used), APX 4-srtring, CF Martin 4 string acoustic, Spector 4-string and a Hamer 12-string.

I find this collection not to be bulky like Giga sampleer collections can be and the sounds are very useful.

This CD is at Sampleheads.com

Hi Dr Tung
    Personally, i would go for a real bass..most sequencers nowadays have the abillity to quontize midi from an audio signal (get m points in Cubase for example)so when you find the sound quality is \'not quite there\' ($300 will buy a lot of bass nowadays..just wont buy a \'75 Jazz) then consider samples and quantize to your pre-recorded(real) bass line.

Peavey do great $300 basses as do Fender/Ibenez....err...Everybody seems to have quality $300 basses

At the end of the day,it comes down to \'Feel\' and \'Timing\' (and if you are a guitarist..some one will explain these concepts to you )
    so buy the bass!

Blob

ps apologies for NOT trying to sell you something....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dr.tung:
    Hello,

So I guess what I\'m asking is whether you think I\'d be better off and get better sounds from me playing a real bass with an amp simulator, or if I should spend the money on some bass sample cd\'s instead
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the million dollar question!!!

There is only 24hrs in a day...
    There is only so many instruments you can learn to master in a life time...

Samples are a quick fix.

If you have the odd 5 years to spare
    master the instrument...
    if not, hire a session musician...

Another route is to buy an instant fix...
    and use a library.

Sought out your priorities,
    and DO IT!

Go Back to forum