• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for NS Forum Members re: Composition Demonstration

Share/Bookmark

Question for NS Forum Members re: Composition Demonstration

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping to get some feedback from the good folks here at NS about the lesson I posted. To my surprise I had a potential student tell me they found the lesson "too advanced" for them. Is that the way it strikes people here for the most part? My intention was to make it simple in the extreme so I was surprised by this - maybe I'm wrong though. I thought that making music out of C Maj and Dmin triads was a simple as it gets (although I admittedly extended those harmonies.) Even so I wanted to show how simple it is to create more sophisticated harmonies out of simple triads as well.

I must admit I have been puzzled by the lack of commentary here after well over a thousand views. It seems like there is a healthy interest here in composition with all the other good information available here. But I don't know what the percentage of people here are interested in a professional career in orchestral composition.

Any suggestions or opinions would be most welcome in what might be a more helpful way of presenting the material.

Also - would anybody be interested in hearing a completely different orchestration of the material? I've been thinking of doing that and that people would find it very interesting. But that's just it - I don't really know what anyone here thinks about the lesson and would genuinely like to know.

Thanks, DC

Re: Question for NS Forum Members re: Composition Demonstration

I thought it was great and yes I'd like to hear another orchestration.

I was wondering if your composition lessons focused more on film genre (whatever that is ) or concert music or if that's even a relevant question.

I loved what you presented. I thought it was well laid out and really pretty simple in concept. Perhaps the potential student doesn't have a basic understanding in music theory. At any rate I loved it and would love to do some study with you. I may send you an email to inquire about details.

Steve Winkler

Very glad to hear that Steve! To answer your question: I studied classical composition in the traditional forms (the forms of Bach, Beethoven and Mozart.) Though it completely changed me and allowed me to indeed write in film genre's, I realized that things are different today. So I decided to create my own course for the modern composer with an emphasis in film, game and other media that require music. Simply for the fact that writers are not really using traditional forms any more and wouldn't want to spend a lot of time learning about things they just won't use.

I'm glad to hear of your interest and very glad to get some feedback here! Email me anytime and I will gladly fill you in more.

DC

Terrific! If one is not already well trained in composition, this is a wonderful way to learn in a targeted, practical manner.

I would have killed to have access to this kind of help when I was a young man.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I thought your lesson was exceptional. It took me years of self study to figure out ideas like the ones you've presented here. I would hope that more forum members take advantage of the information you're providing.

Thanks Jay! Coming from you that means a lot because I know you studied with the very best.

Thank you Jeff! Very nice to get some feedback here!

Hi Dave,

at a first glance your lesson seemed very interesting to me, but I have to admit that it is still on my to do list to take a closer look at it (also the reason I did not react yet).
    I am a bit in the same position as the person you mentioned. I have only very basic skills of harmony theory. I took a couple of lessons in this but I never managed to get through it. Also I never could see the link between all these little rules (that I constantly forgot...) of 4 voice harmony and my own music.
    Of course I am not a professional composer (I am an illustrator and graphic designer) and I compose my music very intuitively. I try to write down what I hear in my head in Logic or in Notion. I can not compose on paper only, I have to hear it.
    Of course I am interested in improving my composer skills in the limited free time that I have. I am sure my music would benefit a lot from that.
    On my website you can listen to all my music freely and I guess you will be able to hear all the flaws in my compositions.
    I look forward to hear more about your lessons.

Jef

Jef, I just listened to your music and enjoyed it. You seem to have an inclination towards the classical which works well I think. If you did study you could easily widen the range of your expression by having more options available to you. All of us come up with certain things on our own based upon our sensibility and gifts. But like any form of study, what we know can be expanded greatly by applying the knowledge that has accumulated in that area over centuries.

I teach a very easy to understand method of building chords (properly) then putting them into a progression and then developing the progression through various means. Since the chords are built correctly they are very easily orchestrated, so you really learn several things at once even though you may not be aware of it. You already have nice progressions so we would just expand them and then develop and orchestrate them - a very enjoyable process.

If you have further questions you can email me at connor.lessons@gmail

Best,

DC

Go Back to forum