• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for a new Soft Synth

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a new Soft Synth

All,

I am looking to by a new synth and was seriously looking at Alchemy. I also have my eye on the Oberheim OB-8 PRO vst. I have Omnisphere, all the native instruments stuff including KORE, UVI Synth Anthology, Xphrase, Sonicsynth 2, FM Heaven, Korg Digital Edition, Cult Sampler and a few others that I can't remember.

Anybody that has experience with stuff like Largo, Alchemy, Zebra, Gladiator etc I would sure appreciate your input. I know I already have a lot of stuff and should dive deeper into it. I just enjoy collecting these things for some reason.

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Looking for a new Soft Synth

There's a zillion free ones out there, try those
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Hmmmmm, I think we would need more info like genre you do, like what gap is this suppose to fill in your synth collection.
    I too have omnisphere, most of the NI stuff (except Kore strangely), the Korg Stuff, SonicSynth 2. I also have Alchemy, Gladiator 2 and Zebra 2.....
    Clearly if you are looking to manipulate Samples, definitely Alchemy.
    If you were looking for a cut through edgier sound I would say Gladiator 2, if you are looking for a very very versatile, and imho one of the best sounding software synths out there (apparently Hans Zimmer thinks so too for whatever it is worth :-)), Zebra 2.........Took me awhile to like it. I think I had downloaded the demo maybe four times in the course of a year or two.... but when you finally 'get it' you really do......It sounds fantastic and best of all plays well with other synths in mixes, which many other synths don't do as well.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    Anybody that has experience with stuff like Largo, Alchemy, Zebra, Gladiator etc I would sure appreciate your input. I know I already have a lot of stuff and should dive deeper into it. I just enjoy collecting these things for some reason.
    Hi Darren,

You have a LOT of the bases covered... in your shoes I'd probably look at Alchemy or Dimension Pro. Last time around, when I was feeling a bit stifled, I looked at Largo, Zebra, and Alchemy, I ended up with Alchemy for a couple of reasons:
    1) it is insanely flexible, but the flexibility is not quite as 'challenging' as Dimension Pro, which I also own. I can't imagine too many sounds I could not create within Alchemy. It's not the last synth plug-in you'll ever need, I do not think anyone has created such a beast yet, but it gets about as close a anything I've played with.
    2) the quality of many of the presets, I've even used some of the presets without tweaking, something I almost never do. And even better, the presets serves as excellent starting points for your own patches.
    3) I like the company. Can't put my finder on it, but I think they genuinely care about their customers. Or rather, they were much more responsive to my pre-sales questions than almost anyone else... which I hope means they'll still answer questions now that I am an user.
    4) the manual is really good.

I picked up Dimension Pro a while ago, during one of Cakewalk's super deals for existing customers. I really like it. But it is deep, and if you aren't Rene (the developer) you probably need to buy Simon Cann's book to get the most out of it. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a consideration.

Someone else mentioned freebies... there are quite a few out there, but I've given up chasing after them, it is easier, for me, for now, to focus on a handful of synthesizer plug-ins and really spend time learning how to use them.

To which I might add, with Absynth, Massive, and Reaktor you have a pretty powerful suite of tools already. The more I use Reaktor the more I use Reaktor, it's much more complex than Dimension Pro or Alchemy, but it can create some really wonderful sounds if you keep at it.

two cents anyway...
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated. I spent some time researching a few more synths. I looked at Titan this weekend on Trysounds and played around with the Zebra demo. Then I took a moment to monkey around with some of my existing synths and I think I am realizing I don't need anything. It's Christmas and I have a few bucks to spend but am thinking I will be just buying something for the sake of buying it. Maybe I'll spend the dough on adding to my VSL stuff. (or I should really save it and see what's coming out at NAMM)

Thanks again for the input guys,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

i was about to say that with omnisphere at your disposal its hard to imagine that there is any need for additional synths but out of the list you made Zebra is the only one that i would consider worth taking a second look.
    If you feel like spending some bucks on sounds i would recommend that you take a look at some of the cool libraries out there like Tonehammer, Cinesamples, Nine Volt and Sonic Couture.
    Eduardo Tarilontes stuff is also very cool and complements Omnisphere in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    .....and I think I am realizing I don't need anything. It's Christmas and I have a few bucks to spend but am thinking I will be just buying something for the sake of buying it. ...

Darren
    I am sorry, I dont' quite follow.. you aren't by any chance suggesting or implying that there is something wrong with doing that?
    Clearly a typo :-)
    all joking aside, you are correct. I am sure by now most of all already have what we need to make great music, but speaking for myself I am a gear junkie :-)...

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Quote Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
    I am sorry, I dont' quite follow.. you aren't by any chance suggesting or implying that there is something wrong with doing that?
    Clearly a typo :-)
    all joking aside, you are correct. I am sure by now most of all already have what we need to make great music, but speaking for myself I am a gear junkie :-)...

rsp
    Richard,

I'm pretty sure I was drinking heavily when I typed the whole "maybe I don't need anything" comment. Silly me, if the wife reads that I'm done...

What I really "need" is the new $17,000 ($19,000 if you include the keyboard) Fairlight that is due out. That would make me complete... honest...

www.darrenpasdernick.com

:-)
    that's more like it. come on man, what were you thinking :-)
    phew.... that was close :-)
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------

To be able to answer your question, one needs to know what you need a new soft synth for. Is it because you are a musician or just a VST-instrument collector?

If the former, go learn the thousand tools you own already, before getting any new.

If the latter, well, other people collect stamps.

Go Back to forum