• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Replacement Headphones

Share/Bookmark

Replacement Headphones

OK, I know - you're thinking: "Not another headphone thread!"

Yeah, well, I need some advice.

My favorite pair of headphones are my trusty (and ancient) Sennheiser HD 410 SL's. I love them to death!! They were a gift and I cannot believe how nice they are!
    I use them all the time at my home studio. But, trouble is, I've been doing a lot more work away from home. I do have a small headphone amplifier, and could just take my HD 410 SL's with me, but I really don't want to end up banging them up - as they are no longer made. So, I need to find a pair of headphones that:

1. Are flat as possible (audio wise - no exaggerated bass or treble, as I will be doing at least preliminary mixing with these, and the MIDS are where the magic really happens!)
    2. Use 1/8 plug into my Apple MacBook Pro.
    3. Are comfy to wear for long periods of time.
    4. Are under $100.

Impossible? (especially that last condition) I know I'll never get the above that are as good as my HD 410 SL's, so I am sure I'll have to make compromises in some things. I am partial to Sennheiser, but if I can find ANY headphones that meet those requirements, I'm game.

What do recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: Replacement Headphones

Oone of those topics that will never die. I can recommend the Sennheiser PX-100: they can be folded, are reasonably neutral, and comfy. Around $60, or so it seems. They do let a lot of environment sound in, though. Don't take the PX200, they are said to be bass heavy.
    Theo

Recently having a need for headphones (I usually don't use 'em) I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and really like them. The 1/8" plug comes with a screw-on 1/4" adapter, they are under $100.00 (around $89 at Guitar Center or Sam Ash, about $99 at Sweetwater etc...) they're foldable, go around the ear instead of on the ear, are VERY comfortable and sound great to me although I've only lived with them for a few days. It's very difficult to find a bad review of these 'phones, but of course let your ears decide.

They also come with a nice storage bag - great for me since my use is intermittent.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

I use the Sony's too. Those are the only one's I've ever used but they are comfortable and seem pretty flat to me.

Steve Winkler

Well, I have lately been investigating the matter because I am interested in a supplementary headset. Presently, I have a Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, which pleases me.

I have been considering these 2 in case I really want to spend the money. Both go for $99.00 or so. Both have good frequency response. The primary difference that I find is the impedance.

Shure SRH440, 44 ohms

Koss Pro4AAT. Much higher impedance, but I forgot how much.

I don't know if the Sennheiser 280 Pro is still available, but if it is, I would consider it as first choice.

Richard

I can't say I've compared the Senn HD280's to many other headphones in terms of how 'flat' they are. They are a closed design, so they do a pretty good job of blocking out external noise (main reason I got them, back when I lived in an apartment), but that does affect the sound to some degree. I will say though that they were extremely comfortable for me, that sometimes I'd forget I even had them on. The only main downside for me with the 280's were that they were on the flimsier side, and developed some cracks in the headband after some negligence (namely, having some heavy books crushed on top of them *cringes*). But if you treat them with due care, they should be fine. I'm pretty sure they are still available; I saw them in the store a couple months back.

They eventually got replaced by a pair of Beyer DT770's... again, another closed design, for the same reasons. I think I preferred the sound with the 280's overall, though the sound did seem a tad bit more muddled. The 280's were also a lot more comfortable out of the box; the 770's took a bit of time to really feel comfortable.

Alas, I haven't had much experience with open designs, but one I'm looking into now that I'm out of the apartment situation, so listening to all the suggestions that may come up...

Edit: Also wanted to add that the 280's seemed to work fairly well without a headphone amp to drive them, used them numerous times straight out of the computer.
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    Edit: Also wanted to add that the 280's seemed to work fairly well without a headphone amp to drive them, used them numerous times straight out of the computer.
    Yep, out of the box and into the computer!

Richard

The English magazine Sound-on-Sound (I read it nearly every month; I find the review and technical articles, and the hints sections, of constant high quality), had an article comparing studio headphones in the Januari issue. It happens that after 6 months, most articles can be read online for free. So perhaps here you can find a more balanced and informed way to choose, or more options than you care for: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan1...headphones.htm
    Theo

I'm a Sony MDR-7506 user.
    Can't say if it is really "flat" or "neutral", but for sure it is merciless in showing you all the faults of your music.
    Since it pictures the bass range in round and full way, I found it very helpful at wieghing it out in the mix.
    It gives you the highest level of insulation from the outer world (I bought it to be allowed to compose while my wife watched at tv in the same room).
    It is less comfortable compares, say, to AKG-something, but I find it a plus: it forces you to leave the work at sometimes.
    Let us know the result of your quest.
    Regards
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks EVERYONE for your responses!!

You've all given me wonderful routes to pursue and investigate. I'll be doing something here very soon and let you know what I chose and why.

Again - this is something that is sooooo hard to give advice on, as what sounds great for one will sound terrible for another. so I appreciate your time and patience.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum