• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 24 Preludes Finally Completed

Share/Bookmark

24 Preludes Finally Completed

I have been away from the forum for quite a while – well over a year. A lot has happened and, unfortunately, little of that has to do with writing music.

Recently I finally finished my series of Preludes. This project has spanned over 4 years….

I was taking composition lessons back in 2006 and did 3 preludes for the instructor. I then decided to try for a full set of 24 – one in each major and minor key. Often these preludes were used as a kind of writing lab, letting me experiment on a small scale some idea or other before I tried the idea on a larger scale.

Another thing I tried with these preludes was making each prelude act as both the piece alluded to by the previous prelude and act as a prelude to the next prelude. For instance a prelude may end in dissonance which is resolved at the beginning of the next. Or the first motif of one may be a variation of the last motif of the previous.

Anyway, the first 19 have previously been posted, the last 5 are new. All of them, old and new, are posted below. Hope you enjoy.

(A little note – remember that I am doing a circle like this (cap=major, lower=minor) – C-a-D-b-E-c#-Gb-eb-Ab-f-Bb-g - Eb-c-F-d-G-e-A-f#-B-g#-Db-bb )

1 – Prelude in C Major
    2 - Prelude in a minor
    3 – Prelude in D Major
    4 – Prelude in b minor
    5 – Prelude in E Major
    6 - Prelude in c# minor
    7 – Prelude in Gb Major
    8 – Prelude in eb minor
    9 - Prelude in Ab Major
    10 - Prelude in f minor
    11 - Prelude in Bb Major
    12 - Prelude in g minor
    13 – Prelude in Eb Major
    14 – Prelude in c minor
    15 – Prelude in F Major
    16 – Prelude in d minor
    17 – Prelude in G Major
    18 – Prelude in e minor
    19 – Prelude in A Major
    20 – Prelude in f# minor
    21 – Prelude in B Major
    22 – Prelude in g# minor
    23 – Prelude in Db Major
    24 – Prelude in Bb minor

Note - #s 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 are rendered with the Authorized Steinway. All others are rendered with the GPO Steinway.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: 24 Preludes Finally Completed

Hey Trent, Great to see you back around!!
    I was missing these preludes of yours, now you've finished a set of 24! Of the new ones, #23 really stands out for me and also #24. However, I enjoyed them all in one way or another.
    Since last year, I upgraded to the Garritan Authorized Basic and I bought a Studio Logic weighted 88 keys to play it on.
    Thank you for posting and re-posting, I think this "cumulative" listing is great, perhaps I should try it, like you had suggested for Kabul Suite.

Welcome back!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Thanks sd. Kind of funny, I just received a note you sent me over a year ago about Canada and Cape Cod. I guess I haven't been reading my messages...

The GA Steinway is great. I need a good keyboard to input my music.

All along I posted the whole series to that point at the bottom while featuring the new piece(s) but with it being finish, I think featuring the whole thing was needed.

I do remember hearing one or two parts of your Kabul Suite. I think with multi-movement pieces it makes it easier to post all of them with each new installment.

Thanks again.
    Trent P. McDonald

Listening to the one in C. It sounds like Chopin to me! The rendering is a bit mechanical at points, but the whole piece is very Romantic, and very enjoyable. Then I picked d. A wonderful miniature, in a much more modern style. And the A is more substantial, and a bit in between both styles.

I'd say this is quite an accomplishment. I'll be listening to a few more of your Preludes in the future. Thanks for sharing.
    Theo

Thanks Theo! The prelude in C was the first one I did. I was studying Chopin at the time and was looking for that style, so thanks your great complement. I may someday re-render this with the GAS and try to get a more natural feel.

Stylistically from almost neo-Baroque to pretty modern, verging on atonal. With all of that I think (hope) they all fit together as a unit.

Thanks again for listening and commenting. Hope you enjoy any of the others you may listen to.
    Trent P. McDonald

trentpmcd,

I have only listened to a couple of these, but the writing sounds solid. I like what I hear. It is contemporary sounding without being alien and non-melodic. Those are my terms for compositions that refuse to let the ear be part of the listening experience. You have crafted a nice set of preludes. Now I just have to find the time in this busy season to listen to them all.

Thanks for the listen.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks, Rich, for listening and commenting. Although I enjoy music that isn't all that accessible I usually write from a very melodic point of view. I guess it's just part of my nature...

I'm glad you've liked what you've heard so far. I can't expect anybody to listen to more than a couple or a few. Except for the last 5 all of these have been posted before, some on many occasions so some people may remember one or two of them.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,

I listened to a few of your preludes this morning, and I just finished with all of them a few minutes ago. Really imaginative piano writing, and the ones that stick out in my mind are #s 2, 11, 12, 16-20, and 23. (I found #s 2, 12, 19, and 20 to be downright haunting.) I think my favorites are #s 2 and 23 -- I've listened to them about 5 times, but I'll definitely be listening again to the others I've mentioned as well!

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Johnson; 12-15-2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Thanks Steve. I'm flattered that you worked your way through all of them in a day. Thanks for pointing out your favorites - I went back and listened through these ones again.

Thanks again for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

I'll add a few more observations. Nr. 22 strongly reminded me of Shostakovich' preludes: a fugue-like theme, with a few subtle harmonic shifts, set against a dark background. Nr. 2 has similar qualities, but is more like French impressionism, and is wonderfully played, with a few pauses and breaks in the dynamics. Nr. 11 was a bit less in my ears, more capricious, but nr. 20 had great subtlety. Ranging from searching, wandering to downright fierce, and back to doubting. Very worthwhile.
    Theo

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast