• Register
  • Help

Topic: Noisy / poorly edited samples in Garritan World Instruments

Share/Bookmark

Noisy / poorly edited samples in Garritan World Instruments

Hello, guys.

First of all, no matter what i'll say in the future - thank you for your hard work on delivering your products to us at reasonable prices.
    Second of all - I know your sample libraries are more affordable than any other of the kind, but could you please make an update witch would include:
    a) corrected samples (like GPO celesta's As6 and A6)
    b) carefully edited samples (there are a lot of samples without smooth fadeouts in GWI, there are samples with clicks and pops)
    c) re-recorded samples (there are many samples that are great and usable, but with too much noise (hiss).
    As I said, I shouldn't be complaining about a product of this quality at this price, but hey guys, I really like to like you and with a step forward so small like re-recording and re-editing some samples I will shout about your glory to everyone (I do that already though)...

Re: Noisy / poorly edited samples in Garritan World Instruments

Hi Makendzis,

Can you be more specific on which instruments you are finding un-smooth fadeouts. As well as which instruments/notes you find have too much noise?

With many ethnic instruments you lose the authenticity and character of the instrument by performing too much noise reduction ect, of course this all depends on what type of instrument it is. We want character, but not distortion and clicks. If you can point us to the exact instruments and notes that you find too noisy we can evaluate those and tweak them for an upcoming patch.

Also be sure to check the Controls page as many of the instruments have breath noise (or similar) as a controller, you may just not like the default amount of noise.

Best,
    Chad

There are many instruments in the World Instruments library that have noises when played. That is part of the instrument sound.

During the long beta test period, I went over and over each sample letting it play to the end if not looped. I listened to the loop points very carefully and noted any that had pops, clicks, bumps in level, etc. A lot of time went into fixing the issues found which were quite extensive. There were a few instruments that had some rough notes in which they were either fixed, replaced with another sample or it was decided that it would be included as is as it was a characteristic sound of the instrument.

The problem with a library of this size is that it is very time consuming to just play through the instruments. I'm not sure how much time I sat there just listening to samples but it was definitely over 100 hours.

It would help if you could list the instruments with the problems including the specific notes, issue heard and when in the sample it occurred. It's also possible that on my system, it didn't exhibit any issues but may on another system depending on latency settings.

Jim

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll definitely find some special time to do the "sample-check". For the start - what about GPO Celesta's As6, A6? Don't they sound like with significantly more "metal"?
    Speaking about GWI > Standart > Percussion > Japan > Hiro-daiku. The low hit on C3 has significant amount of hiss (on default setting), witch (the hiss tail) ends kind of abrupt. And that sounds unnatural in quieter passages, or where the C3 just ends some phrase.
    Tell me please am I doing something wrong or is it character or something else. And the F3 on the same instrument has absolutely no hiss, though it fells a bit "abrupt-endish" too. I understand there is greater amount of reverberation on all the hits except F3 because of the power of the hit, but in my opinion (witch may be wrong) C3 has abruptly ending hiss.
    Jim, thank you for your great work - you're my hero. Hope I'll help to improve something. Of course it is possible I'm too paranoid and see/hear things I imagine is from the other world and don't even exist. Then a hospital would be an update patch I need.

Have a good day.

Tomas

Tomas,

There were a few sounds that had a hiss problem on various notes. If I remember correctly, it was the default setting for some of the controllers that were causing the noise. I'll try to check this when I have time.

The notes on the celeste are probably what the instrument sounded like for those notes. Many real instruments have oddities with them and that may be the case with this one. I'll take a listen to that one.

Jim

Thank You for your care, Jim.
    Have a peacefull Christmas.

P.S.: santa brought me JABB3 & COMB2 for christmas... Got them all now. Waiting for historical instruments... The poll lies...

Sorry if it seems like flooding or something, but just spotted a click on: JABB3 - Standard - Trombones - Trombone 1 - Trombone 1 open - B3.

Quote Originally Posted by Makendzis View Post
    Sorry if it seems like flooding or something, but just spotted a click on: JABB3 - Standard - Trombones - Trombone 1 - Trombone 1 open - B3.

There is no click on my machine. What you probably hear is the volume going above 0dB. Try reducing the volume level of the track.

Go Back to forum