• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I need some help with a Mac/Sibelius user

Share/Bookmark

I need some help with a Mac/Sibelius user

For some strange reason unknown to me, I can not change the midi channels in the mixer of Sibelius 5.
    I am trying to use ARIA GPO4 and Sibelius 5.2.5.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Dan

watch quicktime

Re: I need some help with a Mac/Sibelius user

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    For some strange reason unknown to me, I can not change the midi channels in the mixer of Sibelius 5.
    I am trying to use ARIA GPO4 and Sibelius 5.2.5.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Dan

watch quicktime
    I think you might find it easier to change the channel in the ARIA Player. As a rule the channel number in the Sibelius mixer is 'read only'. Sibelius assigns channels intelligently (their words, not mine).

It can be changed, I believe (never tried) by setting up a Manual Sound Set but ensure that it is activated in the Preferences. All a bit fiddly, though.

Sibelius does indeed assign the channels itself since version 5. And as kwg333 mentioned, you can set up a manual sound set that gets Sibelius to load GPO. Unfortunately, this only sets up a one-to-one relationship and getting multiple instruments into GPO onto one channel in Sibelius would require some clever manipulation and running several more instances of GPO.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I am at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Convention this week and I saw Sibelius being displayed at the AVID booth. AVID has taken over M-Audio if I'm not mistaken. Have they taken over Sibelius as well?
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    I am at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Convention this week and I saw Sibelius being displayed at the AVID booth. AVID has taken over M-Audio if I'm not mistaken. Have they taken over Sibelius as well?
    Yes, and Sibelius is now integrated into Pro Tools. Scaled down, of course.

thanks guys, !!!
    I can not believe Sibelius does not allow us to change the midi channel.
    As Colton and kwg333 said, I guess I have to create a manual sound set.

Sibelius is cleverly making many channels the same number... what kind of logic is that....
    oh sorry Apple, it's AVID

What a joke.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    thanks guys, !!!

Sibelius is cleverly making many channels the same number... what kind of logic is that....
    Yes, I noticed it does that, too. Presumably, more instances of GPO are needed when the channels exceed sixteen.

To be fair to Sibelius, it is primarily a notation app, which it does very well. Playback in most notation apps are a kind of bolt-on, apart from Notion. But then Notion is not a full-blown notation program. Horses for courses.

Personally, I never bother with sophisticated playback in Sibelius and make do with General MIDI until I get to the DAW stage. Saves a lot of angst. The enhanced GM sounds on a Mac are not too bad.

Thanks KG, I was trying to help a friend who uses Sibelius, and what he was telling me did not make any sense until I saw it for myself.
    I have Sibelius because I have a few clients who send me midi and scores created with it, but I never use it for making music... I'm glad about that, I use Digital Performer.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by kwg333 View Post
    Yes, I noticed it does that, too. Presumably, more instances of GPO are needed when the channels exceed sixteen.

To be fair to Sibelius, it is primarily a notation app, which it does very well. Playback in most notation apps are a kind of bolt-on, apart from Notion. But then Notion is not a full-blown notation program. Horses for courses.

Personally, I never bother with sophisticated playback in Sibelius and make do with General MIDI until I get to the DAW stage. Saves a lot of angst. The enhanced GM sounds on a Mac are not too bad.
    Too true, and with Finale also. I remember when Finale 3 came out back around 1990, and a big deal was made at the time of how it was breaking new ground by integrating a "sequencer" into the notation side of their software. Well, we all came to find out (just like we did when WordPerfect added desktop publishing to their word processor) that when a program tries to do too many things, it ends up doing none of them all that well. Okay, so Finale 2010 is much better with notation than it was in the 3.1 days. Even so, I'll still be doing the lion's share of performance editing with a DAW. (Oh yeah, Finale's "smart shape" concept is a prime example of how good intentions pave the road to hell. )

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Johnson View Post
    (Oh yeah, Finale's "smart shape" concept is a prime example of how good intentions pave the road to hell. )

Steve
    HA HA HA
    I am so glad I have sequencing software instead of a program that excels at printing black dotted notes and lines...

Now Dan.. be nice

"if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.
    I did I did I complimented sequencing software

Go Back to forum