• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VOXOS owners- the verdict is?????

Share/Bookmark

VOXOS owners- the verdict is?????

I really REALLY want to pick up Voxos soon, but even with the holiday discount, $900 is a whole lot of money to part with these days. Has anyone here taken the plunge yet and bought it? I would really love to hear detailed comments and opinions.

Thanks!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: VOXOS owners- the verdict is?????

I think that in time it will be a good product. However, there are so many tuning issues that many of the patches are unusable for me. However, in a big mix this may not be an issue for other people. There are also a lot of patches that need to be re-edited. The guys are fully aware of these shortcomings and have said that they will fix them. However, there has been no mentioned timescale.

I think the interface is very easy to get around and even in the current state I've deleted East West's choir thing from my computer. Hurrah......!

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I've deleted East West's choir thing from my computer. Hurrah......!

D
    Bit early to do that perhaps...especially with the integrated WordBuilder due for release very soon??

Very briefly, I have no major complaints about VOXOS......it has some good features and is quite useable, but personally (and this is just my opinion) I think it's way overpriced for what you actually get. Maybe in the future it won't be, but right now, if I hadn't bought it at a reduced price, before it was released, I'd really think twice about purchasing it. Perhaps wait at least until it goes on sale sometime??
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

hmmmm.......I thought it was a little over-priced myself.....and now with tuning problems.....bot maybe I should check out Requiem? I just love Cinesamples as a company, though, and would like to support them, but money is REAL tight these days.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    Bit early to do that perhaps...especially with the integrated WordBuilder due for release very soon??
    Very soon, like PLAY Pro? LOL. No, PLAY is the only thing that can bring down my system, and EW choir is nothing special, so I won't miss it. PLAY deleted. Yay. :>)

Very briefly, I have no major complaints about VOXOS......it has some good features and is quite useable, but personally (and this is just my opinion) I think it's way overpriced for what you actually get. Maybe in the future it won't be, but right now, if I hadn't bought it at a reduced price, before it was released, I'd really think twice about purchasing it. Perhaps wait at least until it goes on sale sometime??
    I bought it specifically for the Solo boy, and although some of the sounds are good, the tuning and editing is not up to scratch, IMO. However, it still sounds way better than any of the other libraries in this regard.

D

VOXOS:

Sean, re. the mention of tuning problems, I suggest that IMHO, they are not a deal breaker at all when it comes to the choir. Unlike Daryl, I certainly can't even suggest that ANY problems that VOXOS has make it "unusable". Also, the Mikes are working hard on an update and fixes for the few minor issues that have been reported. Keep in mind Requiem had a LOT of problems when it was first released, but Requiem Pro then fixed many of them. VOXOS is not 'completed'...they do intend to support and improve it and add to it. And, to my ears, the sound quality of VOXOS is actually slightly better than Requiem, although, at present Requiem still has way more to offer.

I understand your feelings about Cinesamples. I too own and use many of their products, and in general have been quite pleased with what they've produced. But again, with respect, I still feel that the biggest problem is that there isn't enough in VOXOS to warrant a price that high. And I can do far more in Requiem Pro than in VOXOS as well. What is included in VOXOS though is not a concern; it's what isn't.

Daryl, personally I sure wouldn't have spent that kind of money just for the Solo boy, especially when other software of that type is available.

Play:
    Not trying to be argumentative here, Daryl, so hope my comments don't come across that way. Obviously though when it comes to software like EWQL libraries and Play our experiences have been completely different. I use Play and the libraries every day, and wouldn't think of parting with them. Have you perhaps determined the reason that your system doesn't like Play? I've not seen other reports of Users having problems that serious. Also as Doug has reported Play PRO will be ready when it's ready, so IMHO they really haven't been misleading in their statements. Good things are worth the wait, and IMO EW has nothing to apologize for when it comes to releasing top quality products, and offering an excellent forum and good support. But again, obviously you wouldn't agree.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

playz123, don't worry about offending me. If you like stuff or it works for you, then that's fine by me.

I don't really want to pollute the thread any more than I already have by talking about PLAY, so let's just leave it that you like it, I don't.

Perhaps you could also point me towards other libraries with legato Solo Boy, so I can investigate them. Thanks.

Regarding cost I have no opinion, because I think that Voxos is relatively cheap. Then again my yearly studio budget may be higher than yours. I don't know.

D

Thanks for the Voxos opinion, guys. I'm still on the fence. Requiem is $100 cheaper, but doesn't have a boys choir like Voxos. Decisions, decisions....

PLAY- I like Eastwest, as I own all the PLAY libs except Hollywood Strings, but I have used PLAY on 3 separate DAWs in the past 3 years and always seem to have problems with it. I really wish their libs were still available in Kontakt.....which has generally performs flawlessly for me. I am interested in Hollywood Strings, but will most likely never take the plunge until PLAY is perfected.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Sean, I understand that choosing between VOXOS and Requiem Pro is NOT an easy decision, but it's one someone can't make for you, so all the best when deciding. What might tip the scales is to have a really close look at what each does, decide what YOU want to do the most, and also listen to the demos as well. Even though they are mp3s you can still compare both libraries that way. For me, versatility and sound quality are very important.

Daryl re. "Perhaps you could also point me towards other libraries with legato Solo Boy, so I can investigate them."
    You did realize, when you asked that question, that you already have a boy solo in that SC Play library you've dumped? Was hesitant to mention that. Another library you might find useful is Bela D's Giovanni Edition. It doesn't have a boy "solo", but it does have, if I remember correctly, patches featuring only 4 boys. I know....close but not exactly what you require. If I think of anything else I'll post later.

Sean, as I expect you know, EWQL and NI had a parting of the ways a few years ago, and so the NI versions of the EWQL libraries in Kontakt format are no longer sold. There are, of course, a huge number of copies gathering dust in people's cupboards, but since licences can't be transferred, there they will sit. I've never regretted the switch to Play, but I also understand that some people have had better stability on their older PCs with the NI versions than with Play. Daryl is right to suggest though that perhaps it's better to stick to the subject of VOXOS in this thread, so forgive me if I don't offer any additional comments about Play here.

Daryl re. "Perhaps you could also point me towards other libraries with legato Solo Boy, so I can investigate them."
    You did realize, when you asked that question, that you already have a boy solo in that SC Play library you've dumped? Was hesitant to mention that.
    Thanks but I have looked at that, both in Kontakt and PLAY versions. Uneven sound and no legato. SIPS sounded better than EW idea of a script, but still no good I'm afraid. :>(

D

Go Back to forum