• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are GPO samples compatible in a 64 bit operating system?

Share/Bookmark

Are GPO samples compatible in a 64 bit operating system?

Forgive me if this has already been posted/discussed elsewhere on the forum, but I could not find anything when I did a search. I am wanting to get a new computer with a 64 bit operating system (PC)...actually, I'm strongly considering Sweetwater's latest, most powerful "Creation Station Rack XT." Can anyone tell me if my GPO software and Garritan VST samples will be compatible/usable in a 64 bit operating system? I currently own GPO and GPO4 as well as the bundled Garritan samples in Finale 2010. Will I need to install any Garritan updates in order to run the above mentioned Garritan software/GPO VST instruments in a 64 bit operating system? I realize you can install the Windows 7 to run in 32 bits instead of 64 bits, but one of the reasons I am getting the computer is so that I can run the OS in 64 bits so that the system can utilize as much RAM as possible. (Incidentally, the sequencer I use is Cubase Studio 4, which I understand I will need to install the Steinberg update for in order to make it utilize the 64 bit OS.)

Thanks for your help,
    Frodo
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Are GPO samples compatible in a 64 bit operating system?

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been posted/discussed elsewhere on the forum, but I could not find anything when I did a search. I am wanting to get a new computer with a 64 bit operating system (PC)...actually, I'm strongly considering Sweetwater's latest, most powerful "Creation Station Rack XT." Can anyone tell me if my GPO software and Garritan VST samples will be compatible/usable in a 64 bit operating system? I currently own GPO and GPO4 as well as the bundled Garritan samples in Finale 2010. Will I need to install any Garritan updates in order to run the above mentioned Garritan software/GPO VST instruments in a 64 bit operating system? I realize you can install the Windows 7 to run in 32 bits instead of 64 bits, but one of the reasons I am getting the computer is so that I can run the OS in 64 bits so that the system can utilize as much RAM as possible. (Incidentally, the sequencer I use is Cubase Studio 4, which I understand I will need to install the Steinberg update for in order to make it utilize the 64 bit OS.)

Thanks for your help,
    Frodo
    Ah, I asked this question myself when I was shopping for a new computer over the summer. The answer is that GPO4 and ARIA operate in both the 32-bit and 64-bit environment. You're right on the money concerning the OS/RAM issue -- a 32-bit system can only utilize 4 GB of RAM, while a 64-bit can utilize up to 8 gigs (and possibly more, I'm not quite sure). Your original GPO4 purchase has the install for 32- and 64-bit already. However, if you haven't done so yet, you'll want to upgrade to the latest versions of GPO 4 (now 4.02) and ARIA (now version 1.111). For the ARIA upgrade, you'll need to log on to your Garritan account, then go to the free downloads page to get the install that upgrades both the ARIA player and engine.

When I first posted the 32 vs. 64-bit question back in August, one of the senior members responded that there seems to be only a small increase in CPU efficiency when using GPO4/ARIA and a DAW in the 64-bit environment. However, the real issue is memory access, so given how resource-intensive everything is here, being able to max out on memory would IMHO make a 64-bit system a very smart choice. You will, of course, need to upgrade your DAW to a 64-bit version, but you're already aware of that. By the way, after many years of using Cubasis, I jumped ship over to Sonar 8.5 last weekend. Not that I'm trying to pull you away from Cubase, but my point is that updating to the latest version of your DAW should really help you take advantage of all the computing power you'll get with a 64-bit system.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Johnson; 12-17-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Correction and added new info.
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Thanks for your help, Steve!
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Frodo --

Steve is correct with all of his great information. I would just add that 32-bit software runs fine in 64-bit Windows 7, so you dont' have to install a 32-bit operating system. Most Win7_x64 install programs will ask you whether you want to install the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of your software.

As Steve mentions, however, if you have more than 4 GB RAM, then you MUST install a 64-bit operating system to use that extra RAM because the x86 operating systems will not read more than 4 GB. I have 8 GB RAM and found that out the hard way myself by installing XP Pro 32-bit, and there is no way you can make it read more than 4 GB. Same with Win7_x86.

On my 64-bit Win7 system with 8 GB RAM, a fully loaded Wagnerian orchestra (GPO4) only eats up about 34 percent of my total RAM, leaving plenty of headroom for EQs, reverbs, ambience and anything else I want to add to it.

Hope this helps you, but I have a suggestion to make. You might want to compare prices at Directron.com with those at Sweetwater before you purchase a computer system. I have dealt with both fine companies (they are both here in Texas), but right now (Dec. 20, 2010) there are some smashing Christmas sales going on at both places. I have found that it always pays to shop around.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Go Back to forum