• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to sample?

Share/Bookmark

How to sample?

This might have already been answered somewhere else, so I do not mind any reference...

1. I recently got an Oasys PCI card. How do I \"transform\" the Oasys Samples (basically Triton samples) into Gig-files (I have Giga LE only at the moment).

2. How can I sample the Physical modelling instruments of Oasys & use in Giga?

3. I have a Roland Drum machine at home. How can I get those sounds into Giga (do I have to \"record\" each sound at each velocity or can I simply do a \"dump\"?)?

Thanks much in advance for your help

------------------
    O.H.

Re: How to sample?

You need to record the sounds into a wav editing programme like Cool Edit 2000 or Wavelab or Sound Forge.

They make it easy to loop, normalise, trim etc.,

I\'m not sure how you would go out of Oasys and into the sampling programme, but it\'s probably straight ahead.

Most likely the Roland drum machine only has
    velocity controlling the volume or maybe a filter as well. Just sample these sounds once and then use Giga\'s synth style facilities to make the sounds velocity sensitive again - it\'s way easier. If the drum machine really does have some serious tone changes with velocity, just sample the key ones and then try to use the Giga filters and velocity to interpolate between them.

It\'d be even easier to download the actual kit from somewhere too. There are plenty of CDroms with various Roland dum machines sampled on them which can be purchased fairly inexpensively.

Why do you want to sample sounds from your roland drum machine to play back from giga sampler?
    There are drum sounds on the giga sampler demo disc that come with it for free that are light years beyond the roland in sound quality , and no editing needed.
    I would use those sounds or buy a cd rom like realmega drums for only $100 at East/west, or if you insist on sampling your own drums then find a real drum set instead of sampling a sample [ to many A to D and D to A conversions that will effect the sound quality]
    If it turns out that you realy just like those roland sounds then use Midi sample dump standard and send them via midi to you computer with no digital conversion to degrade the sound .

Thanks Chadwick, for the reply.

But I need to ask further:
    1. What you advise to do with the Drum-samples. Do I do this with other instruments as well?: Sample a sound at one velocity & do the rest in Giga (is Giga LE enough for doing this)?

2. Do I have to bother about this 96khz recording thing or is it without any meaning?

kind regards & thanks

------------------
    O.H.

If it turns out that you realy just like those roland sounds then use Midi sample dump standard and send them via midi to you computer with no digital conversion to degrade the sound . [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly this is the case. But this midi dump thing you advise to do: Isn\'t it only for dumping the midi notes so that they are kept in my computer (sequencer)? Sorry for being so \"dumb\" but I didn\'T know one can get the sounds via \'Sysex\' or something into the computer... The reason I want to get the sounds INTO the computer is that I have not a big mixer (not too many inputs) & want to free them up...

But thanks for the reply

------------------
    O.H.

OH

There is a midi sample dump standard which actually sends the sample data via the midi cable if the two machines at either end have the standard implemented.

It\'s very slow though. Don\'t ever think of sending anything other than drums down it if you don\'t want to spend weeks at it.

>There is a midi sample dump standard which actually sends the sample data via the midi cable if the two machines at either end have the standard implemented.<

Thanks much Chadwick!

If my drumcomputer (it is a Boss DR 770) provides this standard I will very likely know from reading the instructions. But: Do the general sequencers have this standard implemented (I have Samplitude but haven\'T digged into it as this computer thing is still new to me) or do I need a different program for doing this?

thanks much again

------------------
    O.H.

Go Back to forum