• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tenor Trials - ( Jazz with the EWI USB )

Share/Bookmark

Tenor Trials - ( Jazz with the EWI USB )

This is a song I worked up using the tenor sax called Tenor Trials. The EWI makes a lot of the Garritan sounds pretty expressive with out fiddling with MIDI controls.

Re: Tenor Trials - ( Jazz with the EWI USB )

Welcome to the forum & thanks for the post.
    Well done!
    Not at all a "trial" to listen to--easy on the ears.
    EWI-USB+Garritan Library=good music!!

Snorlax
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Hi JD and Welcome!

This was great ... may I ask you how the three main effects are generated from the EWI?

1.- Volume ... normally cc1 via mod wheel;

2.- Vibrato ... normally channel pressure via Aftertouch;

3.- Pitch Bend ... normally via pitchbend wheel.

Also, since I play some reeds ... saxes, clarinets, and flutes ... what fingering does the USB EWI come closest to? (I know one of the higher-end ones allows you to actually chose "any of the above"!)

Currently, I paint in most of these effects, but obviously it's quite labor intensive! I've considered picking-up a USB EWI, but would like a little 1st hand info from someone who has successfully used it.

Thanks for posting your piece ... not a trial by any means!

Regards,

Frank

Comments inline below.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi JD and Welcome!

This was great ... may I ask you how the three main effects are generated from the EWI?

1.- Volume ... normally cc1 via mod wheel;
    The breath control (i.e. Blowing makes pressure) can be assigned to several CCs like 1,2,11 etc. These are all somewhat assignable.

2.- Vibrato ... normally channel pressure via Aftertouch;
    Aftertouch is part of the blowing so it is not always what you want. But biting the mouth
    piece can achieve the same effect.

3.- Pitch Bend ... normally via pitchbend wheel.
    There are two controls for this. The mouth piece by biting or the
    pitch bend plates on the lower thumb.

Also, since I play some reeds ... saxes, clarinets, and flutes ... what fingering does the USB EWI come closest to? (I know one of the higher-end ones allows you to actually chose "any of the above"!)

It has the EVI, flute, sax, and Ewi modes for fingerings. In my view,
    Having played flute and sax, the sax is the only realistic mode.
    The flute seems unnatural to me but that is preference.

Currently, I paint in most of these effects, but obviously it's quite labor intensive! I've considered picking-up a USB EWI, but would like a little 1st hand info from someone who has successfully used it.

Thanks for posting your piece ... not a trial by any means!

Regards,

Frank

"The EWI makes a lot of the Garritan sounds pretty expressive" You aren't kidding, this sounds great! If I didn't know I never would have guessed it was a sampled sax. But then, sample or not, you did play it in like a "real" instrument, which clearly shows.
    Trent P. McDonald

JD, that was just amazing!

Astounding expression and nuance, so smooth; you have a polished delivery and you sound like a veteran player! Great arrangement too!

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for posting this!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

This is absolutely amazing! What a nice piece of jazz and superbly played. I really also like how you engineered the sound space. The drum is so tight and on it. Are all the instruments JaBB or are there really live players backing you? Either way, the sax sounds real to me and I have been playing sax and clarinet for over 50 years! WOW
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks so much JD for your thoughtful and detailed reply. Maybe in 2011 I can swing one of these (pun intended ).

I was glad to hear it has sax/flute fingerings.

Regards,

Frank

Thanks Rich and everyone else for listening and commenting. To answer your arrangement question, I did use RealTracks from Band in a Box so I could focus on the sax. I used two different reverb settings from Sonar using PerfectSpace. As you noticed, the drums were on their own reverb to keep them close and crisp. I am still learning to master JABB3, but I am getting there slowly and expect to be able to get similar results over time.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    This is absolutely amazing! What a nice piece of jazz and superbly played. I really also like how you engineered the sound space. The drum is so tight and on it. Are all the instruments JaBB or are there really live players backing you? Either way, the sax sounds real to me and I have been playing sax and clarinet for over 50 years! WOW

Well, I was partly right. RealTracks does have a live drummer kicking the beat. Your use and placement of the ensemble in the mix is one of the best I have heard short of professional recordings. My hat's off to you for an excellent mix.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast