• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Total Lunar Eclipse Tonight! Who's watching it?

Share/Bookmark

Re: OT - Total Lunar Eclipse Tonight! Who's watching it?

Weather permitting I will be watching it. Too unique to miss.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Can't -- it's raining cats, dogs, and a few other species of mammals here in Los Angeles. (Who says it never rains in southern California? Personally, I love it, especially during the holidays! )
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Well, in the Redwoods, as is usual with celestial events, if the fog doesn't get us, the rain will. Since I am always up at the time of the event, I will check now and then, but plenty of rain and hail is in the forecast. That is the downside to living in a sort of remote location, buried in trees and mountains and valleys The more upbeat side of living here is being buried in trees and mountains and valleys.

Richard

Cloudy skies have my view blolcked, but I'm watching it on the Internet (NASA).

I have had an active interest in astronomy for many years. I have three telescopes, but people have stolen all my tripods over the years, and I have nothing left to mount them on. (Makes me wonder why they didn't steal the telescopes...)

I'll have to buy some new equipment next year.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Cloudy skies here too. I guess I will have to wait for the next one. If only I would live another century and a half.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Cloudy skies here too. I guess I will have to wait for the next one. If only I would live another century and a half.
    Actually, there are two of them next year (2011), in June and December. But I'm not sure about the visibility factor in North America. Lunar eclipses normally favor North America, whereas solar eclipses favor Europe and the Far East (in the Northern Hemisphere).
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Hey Guys,

We had a perfect night for viewing the lunar eclipse here in suburban NYC. It was cold (20's), clear, and pretty dramatic. We set the first reminder timer for around 1:30am EST, then went out and viewed it about every 20 minutes until around 3:30am. Luckily we were up preping for the big weekend!

Highlight was seeing the reddish moon (around 2:45am back here) ... Tre cool! The best part was all the stars surrounding it; very surrealistic.

Head of Hayden Planeterium in NYC said there are three more coming in 2011, but I suppose it was the falling of this one on the Winter solstice that got it all the buzz.

Regards,

Frank

In Victoria, Canada the viewing was excellent. The sky cleared just in time to see the moon eclipse into a reddish orb.

What a nice way to usher in the holidays and hope it portends good things for the year ahead.

~Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    ... hope it portends good things for the year ahead.

~Gary
    Amen to that!!!

The lunar eclipse for June 2011 will not be visible in North America, but the one in December 2011 will be.

Besides the two lunar eclipses next year, there will also be four partial solar eclipses in January June, July and November, but none of the solar eclipses will probably be visible to us in North America.
    Arvid Hand
    Theory-Comp./Piano
    ASCAP

Go Back to forum