• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Entertainer, Scott Joplin (1902)

Share/Bookmark

The Entertainer, Scott Joplin (1902)

Having received a wonderful early Christmas present from Garritan - the offer of a discounted copy of the Authorized Steinway Model D Basic piano -I couldn't wait to breath new life into my Joplin MIDI Anthology, completed back in 1997, when quality piano samples were simply beyond my reach.

I have tried to perform Joplin's piano works with the respect they truly deserve. They are often difficult, and physically demanding, but they are always a joy to perform.

I hope you will listen to and enjoy my slightly classical slant on this well known Joplin work.

http://soundcloud.com/alan-t/the-entertainer
    Garritan: GPO4, JABB3, Steinway Model D Basic; Cakewalk: Sonar X1 Producer, VS100; MakeMusic: Finale 2011, PrintMusic 2011.

Re: The Entertainer, Scott Joplin (1902)

I liked it. A slightly different take - more contemplative. That being said, I would still have preferred a faster tempo.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I liked it. A slightly different take - more contemplative. That being said, I would still have preferred a faster tempo.
    I'd have to disagree with this - I think the tempo is very comfortable. At the top of almost all of Joplin's rags is the warning: "Note: Do not play this piece fast. It is never right to play 'Ragtime' fast."

Well done - a real pleasure to listen to!

This has always been one of my favorite Joplin's.

I found the tempo nigh unto perfect, and the expressiveness of the playing was very nice. Overall, an enjoyable listen.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thumbs up Re: The Entertainer, Scott Joplin (1902)

Thank you all for responding so positively to my post. My apologies for not replying sooner, I didn't have access to the forum.
    I have added one further rag, Elite Syncopations, played and recorded using the standalone Garritan Steinway Model D Basic at: www.soundcloud.com/alan-t/elite-syncopations if you would like to listen.
    For me now, it's back to far inferior but at least original compositions.
    Best wishes to all for the New Year and a big thank you to the Forum Members who have given me continuing encouragement throughout 2010.
    Garritan: GPO4, JABB3, Steinway Model D Basic; Cakewalk: Sonar X1 Producer, VS100; MakeMusic: Finale 2011, PrintMusic 2011.

I've still got some catching up to do, I see. Nice rendering of this well-known song, as if the player let's some emotions shine through in passages that are dearer to him.
    Theo

Arrow Re: The Entertainer, Scott Joplin (1902)

Hello Theo
    Thank you for your complements. However, I have to admit that it was a live performance, rather than a rendered one, and hence the player’s emotion you refer to is mine, and yes it is genuine.
    I have a great respect for the music of Scott Joplin, and have never understood his lifetime rejection as a “serious” American composer. I see no reason, as a classical pianist, why his work should not be treated any less respectfully than that of say Chopin, Debussy, or any other ground breaking composer for the piano.

Go Back to forum