• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tuning instruments and vibrato

Share/Bookmark

Tuning instruments and vibrato

Greetings to all.
    I just bought GPO 4 after using the original for many years pre-intel mac; now, I'm back and wonder:

Is there a way to tune strings in GPO 4 w/ this Aria player?
    I see the word 'tune' under the name of the Instrument patch but when I click on it, nothing happens.

I also had the Gofriller Cello which had a great way to control vibrato using the mod wheel; can a cello be used that way in GPO 4?

Re: Tuning instruments and vibrato

Quote Originally Posted by Sixstrings22 View Post
    Greetings to all.
    I just bought GPO 4 after using the original for many years pre-intel mac; now, I'm back and wonder:

Is there a way to tune strings in GPO 4 w/ this Aria player?
    I see the word 'tune' under the name of the Instrument patch but when I click on it, nothing happens.
    Tuning is done as a "click-drag" with your mouse. Basically, what you do is place your mouse cursor right on the 0, then hold the left button down as you drag to the left or right. Dragging to the left tunes down, to the right tunes up. (Previous versions of GPO had a tuning adjustment knob in the sample player. When I went over to GPO 4, there was no tuning knob in ARIA, so I found the new way a bit tricky as it was not obvious about how to do it. Instructions are in the GPO 4 user manual, but it was easy to miss.)

I also had the Gofriller Cello which had a great way to control vibrato using the mod wheel; can a cello be used that way in GPO 4?
    Rule of thumb with GPO 4 is that instruments not sampled with built-in vibrato can have vibrato applied through external controllers. Please bear in mind that GPO 4 uses the mod wheel to control volume with sustain instruments, so you'll need to use both aftertouch (channel pressure) and CC17 to apply vibrato. However, I really don't work with the solo strings, so I can't tell you if the solo cello patch will respond to external vibrato control. You'll just have to try it and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Steve
    If you'd like to hear a couple of pieces I might actually finish someday, please visit my virtual concert hall.

Go Back to forum